Map Users to Groups

Moderator: crythias

PenrodCC
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 6.0
Company: Transcend Networks, Inc

Map Users to Groups

Post by PenrodCC »

In the same manner that you map agents to only see certain queues, I'd love to see the ability to map agents to see only certain customers.

We have instances where we have agents dedicated to a certain queue and they can still see other customers.

Any chance this is coming in the future?

Thanks!
owi
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 6.4.2
Company: terreActive AG

Re: Map Users to Groups

Post by owi »

I guess we have the same problem. But let me first be clear about what exactly you need. My situation is

- The OTRS server is owned and managed by company A
- Customers are from companies x, y, z
- Some Agents are from company A
- Other Agents are from companies B, C, D.
- B, C, D are subcontractors of A, but they don't know each other.
- Each subcontractor B, C, D is in charge of a subset of Customers x, y, z.
- let B be in charge of x only, then B must not see y, and z
- by "must not see* we mean: must not be able to deduce a business relationship between y, z, and A

@PenrodCC if this is also your requirement, we might be able to work out a solution.
root
Administrator
Znuny Version: Znuny and Znuny LTS
Company: Znuny

Post by root »

PenrodCC wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 16:30 We have instances where we have agents dedicated to a certain queue and they can still see other customers.
John,

What exactly do you mean by "see other customers"? Other customers' tickets or are they able to see the customer when selecting a customer user?

- Roy
Znuny and Znuny LTS running on CentOS / RHEL / Debian / SLES / MySQL / PostgreSQL / Oracle / OpenLDAP / Active Directory / SSO

Use a test system - always.

Do you need professional services? Check out https://www.znuny.com/

Do you want to contribute or want to know where it goes ?
PenrodCC
Znuny newbie

Post by PenrodCC »

Mine is a bit simpler but the same in needs.

I am the owner of the ZNUNY deployment.

I have customers A,B,C & D.

I need to create an agent that works for company A so they can work tickets within their company.

But, I only want them to see users within company A. As it stands now, they can click "Customers" --> "Customer User Info" and start typing a name and see customers in all four companies.

Just like we limit Agents to Groups to Queues, I'd like to limit customers to groups to users.

Maybe this already exists but does not seem to be so.

owi wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 09:49 I guess we have the same problem. But let me first be clear about what exactly you need. My situation is

- The OTRS server is owned and managed by company A
- Customers are from companies x, y, z
- Some Agents are from company A
- Other Agents are from companies B, C, D.
- B, C, D are subcontractors of A, but they don't know each other.
- Each subcontractor B, C, D is in charge of a subset of Customers x, y, z.
- let B be in charge of x only, then B must not see y, and z
- by "must not see* we mean: must not be able to deduce a business relationship between y, z, and A

@PenrodCC if this is also your requirement, we might be able to work out a solution.
PenrodCC
Znuny newbie

Post by PenrodCC »

Hi Roy, see my reply to Owi above.

root wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 11:46
PenrodCC wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 16:30 We have instances where we have agents dedicated to a certain queue and they can still see other customers.
John,

What exactly do you mean by "see other customers"? Other customers' tickets or are they able to see the customer when selecting a customer user?

- Roy
owi
Znuny newbie

Post by owi »

PenrodCC wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 17:44 Mine is a bit simpler but the same in needs.

I am the owner of the ZNUNY deployment.

I have customers A,B,C & D.

I need to create an agent that works for company A so they can work tickets within their company.

But, I only want them to see users within company A. As it stands now, they can click "Customers" --> "Customer User Info" and start typing a name and see customers in all four companies.

Just like we limit Agents to Groups to Queues, I'd like to limit customers to groups to users.
Right. And the agent that works for A must not see customers B, C, D. I.e. ist must not see their tickets, nor the fact that they exist on your server. - That's the same requirement as mine. When I asked Shawn Beasley a few months ago, he answered: "That's not possible. OTRS is not meant to work this way."

Sad :(

However, I implemented it anyway :D Have a look at https://github.com/terreActive/OTRS_MultiTenancy

It's GPL code, so use it at your own risk. Additionally:

- this is work in progress
- it contains bugs
- it did not pass any OTRS coding style checks
- it has no unit tests
- it's only for the latest Znuny feature version
- it changes often
- it must be adapted to each new Znuny release

... but it works for me!

Enjoy!
root
Administrator

Post by root »

PenrodCC wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 17:44 Hi Roy, see my reply to Owi above.

John,

John,

Znuny has an add-on for support customers which restricts the access to the different customer/customer user configurations per group/per role. The only limitation is that is only handles the 11 possible backends and not more.

- Roy
Znuny and Znuny LTS running on CentOS / RHEL / Debian / SLES / MySQL / PostgreSQL / Oracle / OpenLDAP / Active Directory / SSO

PenrodCC
Znuny newbie

Post by PenrodCC »

Roy, what is the add-on called?

I don't see it listed: https://www.znuny.com/en/add-ons/price:support

JP

root wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 18:52
PenrodCC wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 17:44 Hi Roy, see my reply to Owi above.

John,

John,

Znuny has an add-on for support customers which restricts the access to the different customer/customer user configurations per group/per role. The only limitation is that is only handles the 11 possible backends and not more.

- Roy
root
Administrator

Post by root »

PenrodCC wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 19:12 Roy, what is the add-on called?

I don't see it listed: https://www.znuny.com/en/add-ons/price:support
We haven't them all listed ;-) No enough time

- Roy

owi
Znuny newbie

Post by owi »

@PensrodCC asked
We have instances where we have agents dedicated to a certain queue and they can still see other customers.
@root asked back
Nobody answered this question, but from the further discussion it became clear that we mean "able to see the customer when selecting a customer user".

Roy then suggested to use "a (Znuny) add-on for support customers which restricts the access to the different customer/customer user configurations per group/per role. The only limitation is that is only handles the 11 possible backends and not more".

Now it is not obvious what the problem has to do with backends. The OP clearly wanted to use a single Customer backend, probably DB, but subdivide these customers into groups of different visibility. Are you suggesting to write a different Backend for each visibility group (i.e. queue)? What a waste! And the number of groups would be limited to 11 anyway. This is a dead end.

I'd like to advertise again my MultiTenancy solution (https://github.com/terreActive/OTRS_MultiTenancy). I want to discuss why this was not built into OTRS from the start. In my opinion, it makes no sense that an agent can assign a customer user to a ticket of a queue he is not even allowed to see. The selection of possible customers and customer users should be filtered to those that make sense.
Johannes
Znuny Version: All of them ^^
Company: Znuny|OTTERHUB

Post by Johannes »

Hi Othmar,
I want to discuss why this was not built into OTRS from the start.
The answer to your question is simple. It was not needed, so it is not implemented. No one can think of every possible use case. The basic implementation was made decades ago. It is as simple as that. Not saying that this could be added somewhere upstream, but this is the answer to your question.

One of the main reasons why this is not implemented is that companies often do not have this information available in one database.
If you have all your customers in one database, you need to "group them" , so a software is capable of hiding / showing them. This maybe your use case, but I would bet that the most of our users are not capable of providing those information.

And even if they would have, to restrict the customer list by user attribute, you need to fetch all customer users first. Not ideal.

Thats why the addon uses restrictions on backends. The basic idea that a backend which provides customer user information is assigned to a specific group / has a specific property. This is what Roys proposed addon includes. It blocks the access to the backends you are not allowed to see.

It is a Pre app module which is capable of filtering customer user results, based on the configuration.
The limit of 11 backends, which we usually exceed only in very rare cases, can be easily adjusted and will be dropped in future versions.
It's a relict from the past.
The selection of possible customers and customer users should be filtered to those that make sense.
OK. I have one. A classic case for a "profit call center". They just create tickets and after the creation they are not able to see them again. Just hired agents which creates tickets (often on the phone) for other companies. Or a helpdesk which need to move tickets to other departments.... and I'm sure there are many more.

Maybe you can explain your solution a bit more in detail, starting with your use case and your solution. But I would like to see this in developer forum, not in a user thread in the support section. You can link to it, but those discussions miss the original post and lead to more confusion than the solution.

Regards
Johannes