Znuny / OTRS pre migration questions

Moderator: crythias

dgotrs
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 6.0.40

Znuny / OTRS pre migration questions

Post by dgotrs »

I'm trying to migrate from another helpdesk to OTRS. I also considered other open source or freemium helpdesks, but OTRS seems the most sensible and interesting to me.

However, I have a few questions for you that will help me clarify how many things I can set in the dashboard or handle with plugins, and how many things I will have to write my own plugins for, or which are simply not possible.
We mainly use the ticketing functionality, creating reports and knowledge bases.

1. Ticket module – we would like to be able to track time or record how long it takes a given service technician to respond. Currently, when I was creating new tickets, I saw that there was an option called "Total duration" of the ticket, but it could only be set for the first message in a given ticket. What is more important for us is the option to be able to save the second or third message and for each enter some amount of time. If it is possible?

2. There is another issue related to the ticket system, i.e. is it possible to create tickets by receiving e-mails to the service address? I saw and configured the email recipient options in the OTRS dashboard settings, but for an email to go through and create a ticket, a user must be created, and I would like a ticket and a new user to be created in OTRS when an email arrives at the service address, and if this domain already exists so that additional users are created within the company.

3. Solutions module - is it possible that if we found a very good solution for a ticket, we can mark it as a solution and it would be moved to a separate module with a history of such solutions or to knowledgebase

4. Is it possible to create an additional "location" field for a user that would be a subuser? Why does he need something like this? Due to the fact that one user (company) has e.g. 4 company locations, each of them should have a separate address and contact information. In addition, each company should have a certain number of authorized persons who will be able to submit reports. In addition, a given company should have an additional field where you can upload attachments and contracts to make it clear what the terms of cooperation with a given company are.

5. Can I change fields (delete, add new ones) in tickets? E.g. I would like to have only 3 report types, 4 priorities, a new contract number field, selection of the employee who reported, selection of one of our two companies that deal with a given report, selection of one of the 6 report categories?

6. Is it possible to create a custom SLA in OTRS that would, for example, work only from Monday? Most of our customers do not have purchased SLA for the weekend.

7. Reports for the business department in our company:
a) Is it possible to count the amount of time spent on a given client in a given month?
b) Reports on the working time of a given employee
c) Reports on the number of expired tickets
d) Custom reports
e) In general, is it possible to create about 30-50 report templates that will simply be repeated month after month and be downloadable?
f) those raports should have custom columns, current there is way to much information in those default excel files from OTRS

Of course, if someone doesn't know the answers to all the questions, I would be grateful to answer just a few questions

I'm sorry that my message is so long, I'm trying to figure out OTRS myself, but I decided that the best choice would be to ask the community to find out as quickly as possible how much custom work awaits me.
skullz
Znuny superhero
Znuny Version: LTS and Features

Re: Znuny / OTRS pre migration questions

Post by skullz »

dgotrs wrote: 15 Nov 2023, 08:35 1. Ticket module – we would like to be able to track time or record how long it takes a given service technician to respond. Currently, when I was creating new tickets, I saw that there was an option called "Total duration" of the ticket, but it could only be set for the first message in a given ticket. What is more important for us is the option to be able to save the second or third message and for each enter some amount of time. If it is possible?
Yes. Its called TimeAccounting (time units).
https://doc.znuny.org/znuny/agentinterf ... index.html
dgotrs wrote: 15 Nov 2023, 08:35 2. There is another issue related to the ticket system, i.e. is it possible to create tickets by receiving e-mails to the service address? I saw and configured the email recipient options in the OTRS dashboard settings, but for an email to go through and create a ticket, a user must be created, and I would like a ticket and a new user to be created in OTRS when an email arrives at the service address, and if this domain already exists so that additional users are created within the company.
Yes. you must configured a mailbox for the OTRS to receive the email and convert to ticket.
It doesn't matter if the sender if registered within the system or not.
Unless you configure specific postmaster filter to reject any email from non-organization email.

However, auto create user account (based on received email) features not available.
Perhaps to prevent spamming email keep creating not needed account.

If you have LDAP/AD, you can integrate the with the system. save the hassle creating a lot of user account.
dgotrs wrote: 15 Nov 2023, 08:35 3. Solutions module - is it possible that if we found a very good solution for a ticket, we can mark it as a solution and it would be moved to a separate module with a history of such solutions or to knowledgebase
To auto move to knowledgebase, No.
Possibily there is a addon out there to tackle this but im not sure.

You can mark a ticket as closed and the perhaps also define the solution using ticket dynamic fields.
This way you be able to search fo it later or print it out via statistic module.
dgotrs wrote: 15 Nov 2023, 08:35 5. Can I change fields (delete, add new ones) in tickets? E.g. I would like to have only 3 report types, 4 priorities, a new contract number field, selection of the employee who reported, selection of one of our two companies that deal with a given report, selection of one of the 6 report categories?
You can add / edit field value.
Some value cant be delete due to to system value however can be set as invalid.
dgotrs wrote: 15 Nov 2023, 08:35 6. Is it possible to create a custom SLA in OTRS that would, for example, work only from Monday? Most of our customers do not have purchased SLA for the weekend.
Yes. SLA can be tie with the specific calendar. There is 9 calendar by default.
You can define business hour, holidays and timezone.
dgotrs wrote: 15 Nov 2023, 08:35 7. Reports for the business department in our company:
a) Is it possible to count the amount of time spent on a given client in a given month?
b) Reports on the working time of a given employee
c) Reports on the number of expired tickets
d) Custom reports
e) In general, is it possible to create about 30-50 report templates that will simply be repeated month after month and be downloadable?
f) those raports should have custom columns, current there is way to much information in those default excel files from OTRS.
a, b, c, d = Some available, some perhaps need custom stats (via customization).

e = Yes. there is configurable daemon / scheduler (backend) that be able to auto generate stats, put it somewhere (perhaps shared drive) or send to specific email.

f = You can edit the report to filter out not needed column.