Software Development Life Cycle - Control it inside OTRS

Moderator: crythias

Amukinado
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.2.8

Software Development Life Cycle - Control it inside OTRS

Post by Amukinado »

Hello.
There's a company that wishes to implement OTRS and wishes to control their software development life cycles(sdlc).
They also asked if OTRS can do that out of the box(sdlc control)? They also asked if there's any kind of plugin or app that can run inside OTRS to to that if OTRS can't do it out of the box.
Or...is that a way to cutomize OTRS in order to do that?

I'm asking you OTRS gurus :) witch is the best solution.

Thanks in advance!

Regards
Bruno
OTRS V3.2.8 - ITSM 3.2.6 - Cent OS 5.9x64
Amukinado
Znuny newbie

Re: Software Development Life Cycle - Control it inside OTRS

Post by Amukinado »

Anyone?

Possible?
Not possible?
Not Known?
Known error? :)

Regards
Bruno
crythias
Znuny Version: 5.0.x

Post by crythias »

I don't know how OTRS would work for your situation. It's not built as a project management system. It's built as a help desk system, with optional change management. Yes, there is a calendar and escalation, and reminders, ...

Is it possible? I guess, but without your definition of parameters needed, the answer could be up to you, not forum readers.
OTRS 6.0.x (private/testing/public) on Linux with MySQL database.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
Need help? Before you ask
Amukinado
Znuny newbie

Post by Amukinado »

thank you for your answer. Would you recommend using OTRS to implement ITIL on a insurance company and also use it as a development life cycle manager making that kind of adaptations/customization?

Glad to have an answer from you. You have been very usefull before.

Regards
Bruno
crythias
Znuny Version: 5.0.x

Post by crythias »

I'm very sorry that I cannot provide a better answer than my previous. The short answer to "Can it be used for ..." is "yes". But if you ask, "does it have [insert feature that I need to have in order to do this thing]?" I ... well, you have not provided such question, so no answer can be given.

If we give the simple answer, "Yes", that it can be used for Software Development, and you say, "I tried it and it's not suitable", then we forum readers are at an impasse, and those who post such crazy answers to your questions (ie, me :) ) can look foolish or ill-informed.

So, what would be *your* criteria for what you would need for software development life cycle? What features would you need to have in order for an appropriate evaluation of OTRS to be suitable for that or any other purpose that you desire?
OTRS 6.0.x (private/testing/public) on Linux with MySQL database.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
Need help? Before you ask
Amukinado
Znuny newbie

Post by Amukinado »

Thanks again. I will have to receive the company's requierements in order to answer you. I'm just trying to play ahead of our client.
So now i'm shure it's not the best solution "out of the box". I'll post more information as soon has I have it.

Regards
Bruno