Browser support?

Moderator: crythias

Mothra
Znuny expert
Znuny Version: 3.2.11

Browser support?

Post by Mothra »

Apologies if I sound grumpy here, but which web browsers is OTRS 3.0 supposed to support?

I keep getting JavaScript errors in Internet Explorer 8 (which is our corporate standard) and in Firefox, I frequently get pages where none of the buttons work until I hit refresh.

I don't see any recommended browsers mentioned in the documentation - does anyone know which browsers they test against?
OTRS 3.2.11 on Centos 6.4 with MySQL 5.0. Agents and internal customers authenticate via Active Directory.
mdallagi
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 2.4.7

Re: Browser support?

Post by mdallagi »

Hi Mothra,

I'm experiencing the same issue with IE8.
Fortunately it seems to work well with firefox 3.6.

I stay tuned to know about IE8 compatibility....

Bye
Mike_B
Znuny Version: CVS HEAD

Post by Mike_B »

Mothra wrote:Apologies if I sound grumpy here, but which web browsers is OTRS 3.0 supposed to support?
Hi Mothra,

We don't support
* Versions older than Microsoft Internet Explorer 7
* Versions older than Firefox 3
* All versions of Netscape

For the customer frontend, Internet explorer 6 is also supported.

So you should generally be fine with Internet Explorer 8.
We did have a particularly nasty issue with IE8 which was introduced between beta7 and 3.0.1, which resulted in the quick release of 3.0.2.

Currently we'll have two issues open against IE8:

Code: Select all

6270   In sysconfig you can´t add more functions in some fields when you use IE8
6313   installer.pl fails to check mail configuration in IE8 
They both have our attention and you can expect them fixed in 3.0.3 (although I can't make hard promises here).
If you find any more issues, please take your time to log them at http://bugs.otrs.org

Regards,

Mike.
huntingbears.nl - @michielbeijen on Twitter
MusicLover12345
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 1

Post by MusicLover12345 »

how about the operamini and safari web browser.

do you support them?
mdallagi
Znuny newbie

Post by mdallagi »

Hi Mike,

this is the error message from my OTRS with IE8 when I try to answer to a ticket (server IP obfuscated):

Dettagli errore pagina Web

Agente utente: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; MS-RTC LM 8; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E)
Timestamp: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 11:54:49 UTC

Messaggio: Proprietà o metodo non supportati dall'oggetto
Linea: 469
Carattere: 87
Codice: 0
URI: http://<a.b.c.d>/otrs-web/js/js-cache/CommonJS_efb7984663f3c7ddedb63f851c9e040b.js

Mistery2010
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.0.2

Post by Mistery2010 »

Hi,

same issue here, running OTRS 3.0.2 and tested with

IE 8.0.6001.18975
Firefox 3.6.12 (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; it; rv:1.9.2.12) Gecko/20101026 Firefox/3.6.12 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729))

Any updates or hints to fix this issue ?
Mothra
Znuny expert

Post by Mothra »

Mike_B wrote:
Mothra wrote:Apologies if I sound grumpy here, but which web browsers is OTRS 3.0 supposed to support?
Hi Mothra,

We don't support
* Versions older than Microsoft Internet Explorer 7
* Versions older than Firefox 3
* All versions of Netscape

For the customer frontend, Internet explorer 6 is also supported.

So you should generally be fine with Internet Explorer 8.
We did have a particularly nasty issue with IE8 which was introduced between beta7 and 3.0.1, which resulted in the quick release of 3.0.2.

Currently we'll have two issues open against IE8:

6270   In sysconfig you can´t add more functions in some fields when you use IE8
6313   installer.pl fails to check mail configuration in IE8 
They both have our attention and you can expect them fixed in 3.0.3 (although I can't make hard promises here).
If you find any more issues, please take your time to log them at http://bugs.otrs.org

Regards,

Mike.
Ah, so you're not doing continuous integration against a specific set of target browsers? Fair enough, but this makes it difficult to convince my employers to purchase the commercial release of OTRS. I noticed that there's a Core.UI.IE7Fixes.js that checks specifically for version 7.0 of MSIE, but disappointed that there's no IE8 version.
OTRS 3.2.11 on Centos 6.4 with MySQL 5.0. Agents and internal customers authenticate via Active Directory.
Mike_B

Post by Mike_B »

mdallagi wrote:Hi Mike,

this is the error message from my OTRS with IE8 when I try to answer to a ticket (server IP obfuscated):

Agente utente: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; MS-RTC LM 8; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E)
Timestamp: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 11:54:49 UTC

Linea: 469
Carattere: 87
URI: http://<a.b.c.d>/otrs-web/js/js-cache/CommonJS_efb7984663f3c7ddedb63f851c9e040b.js

We have an issue open for this, http://bugs.otrs.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6377
The solution is to create the js-cache directory manually and run the bin/otrs.SetPermissions.pl script.
Can I assume you used the RPM upgrade on OpenSuse?

--
Mike.
Mike_B

Post by Mike_B »

Mothra wrote: Ah, so you're not doing continuous integration against a specific set of target browsers? Fair enough, but this makes it difficult to convince my employers to purchase the commercial release of OTRS. I noticed that there's a Core.UI.IE7Fixes.js that checks specifically for version 7.0 of MSIE, but disappointed that there's no IE8 version.
Hi Mothra,

First of all, there's no commercial release of OTRS. There's just one release of OTRS, and you can purchase a support contract with that. But our paying customers are running on the very same version of the software as the people who just download it off OTRS.org.

Second, we actually DO continous integration tests, with OTRS running on various platforms and on different databases. But to be honest, we only fairly recently started to also involve the browser tests in this, so there's not a lot of test yet run with that. And yes, of course we test with IE7, IE8 and even IE9. We test the customer frontend with IE6.

For instance the file Core.OverviewSmall.IE8.css contains fixes specifically for IE8, in this case, not for the javascript but for CSS. Also, please note that we use the JQuery framework for all our JavaScript in OTRS 3.x, which already takes care of a lot of the IE7/8/9 javascript peculiarities for us.

We even have some IE9 specific fixes in our code base already!

--
Mike
Mothra
Znuny expert

Post by Mothra »

macj9066 wrote:I have always had the best luck with Firefox. I am not sure what versions are supported, but all that I have tried have worked well. IE has always had issues. It is not just on OTRS, but on other applications also. I try to stay away from IE. I hear that IE9 is going to be better, but I have not seen it yet. Any other suggestions on browsers would be appreciated.
With my hacker's hat on, I entirely agree with you... but with my business hat on, I couldn't disagree more. Try telling some of the companies I've worked for to switch their regular users away from IE and, no matter how sound and logical your reasoning, you'll be laughed out of the building. :roll:
Mothra
Znuny expert

Post by Mothra »

Mike_B wrote:
Mothra wrote: ... we actually DO continous integration tests, with OTRS running on various platforms and on different databases. But to be honest, we only fairly recently started to also involve the browser tests in this, so there's not a lot of test yet run with that. And yes, of course we test with IE7, IE8 and even IE9. We test the customer frontend with IE6.
Ok, that's more what I wanted to hear the first time round (and something of a relief) - thanks! :)
mdallagi
Znuny newbie

Post by mdallagi »

Mike_B wrote:
We have an issue open for this, http://bugs.otrs.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6377
The solution is to create the js-cache directory manually and run the bin/otrs.SetPermissions.pl script.
Can I assume you used the RPM upgrade on OpenSuse?

--
Mike.
Hi Mike,

I'm using the RPM for Centos 5 and I'm currently using 3.0.1 (no time to upgrade).
However the js-cache directory was already created (during installation?) so I tried to execute the script...
What options I have to use? simply as suggested:

otrs.SetPermissions.pl /opt/otrs
let me know....
bacid
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3

Post by bacid »

First off let me say 3.x is a leap beyond all previous versions. It no longer looks like an open source app.

With that said, I've found that while 3.x works great with firefox, it is horrible on blackberry native webkit browser (i'm on OS6).

On the previous version (2.4) otrs looked and worked great on both the old and new blackberry browser.

Any plans on modifying the code so that it displays properly?

Even better would be a blackberry app though that's probably wishful thinking.
Mothra
Znuny expert

Post by Mothra »

bacid wrote:First off let me say 3.x is a leap beyond all previous versions. It no longer looks like an open source app.

With that said, I've found that while 3.x works great with firefox, it is horrible on blackberry native webkit browser (i'm on OS6).

On the previous version (2.4) otrs looked and worked great on both the old and new blackberry browser.

Any plans on modifying the code so that it displays properly?

Even better would be a blackberry app though that's probably wishful thinking.
See http://forums.otrs.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... blackberry
mdallagi
Znuny newbie

Post by mdallagi »

Hi all,

right now updated to 3.0.3 from rpm:

rpm -Uvh rpm -Uvh otrs-3.0.3-01.noarch.rpm

on my Centos5 OTRS installation.
After that it is no longer possible to logon to the OTRS.
It is not possible to type the username and password on the login form.
I tried to use Firefox, IE and Chrome and rebooted the server.
Using IE8 I get the following script error (IP obfuscated):

Timestamp: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 12:36:07 UTC

Messaggio: 'jQuery' non è definito
Linea: 36
Carattere: 1
URI: http://a.b.c.d/otrs-web/js/js-cache/Com ... 049b01a.js

Linea: 239
Carattere: 1
URI: http://a.b.c.d/otrs/index.pl