Roles by queue

Moderator: crythias

ptay
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 5.0.10

Roles by queue

Post by ptay »

Anyone know where I assign a queue to a particular role? From the OTRS Admin Book it appears I can use roles to assign agents to particular queues with specific permissions. What I'd like to know is would roles let me do this:

Admin role would work:
Trouble queue
Information queue
Administration queue
Test Setup queue

Security role would work:
Incident queue

Agents in Security role cannot view or access Trouble/Administration/Information/Test Setup queues & agents in Admin role cannot see Incident queue.
Test:: OTRS 5.0.10 w/MariaDB 5.5.47 backend on RHEL7
Prod:: OTRS 5.0.10 w/MariaDB 5.5.47 backend on RHEL7
crythias
Znuny Version: 5.0.x

Re: Roles by queue

Post by crythias »

You probably want to assign Queues to groups and then Agents to groups.

See this post http://forums.otrs.org/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=6357
OTRS 6.0.x (private/testing/public) on Linux with MySQL database.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
Need help? Before you ask
ptay
Znuny newbie

Post by ptay »

I figured out what I needed to do. Now I'm still relatively new to OTRS but from what I can tell roles are superior to groups.
Mothra
Znuny expert
Znuny Version: 3.2.11

Post by Mothra »

ptay wrote:I figured out what I needed to do. Now I'm still relatively new to OTRS but from what I can tell roles are superior to groups.
They're not exactly superior, they're just another layer you can put between groups and users to simplify administration. You will always need groups, as only groups can be mapped to queues.

A role is really just a "proxy" user - if you find youself adding many users with the exact same permissions to a particular group, you can put a role in there instead, and assign the users to that, instead of the group. That last bit is very important, as if you do both, you get into a real admin nightmare. It's why the manual recommends you disable the user to group mapping from the Admin UI.
OTRS 3.2.11 on Centos 6.4 with MySQL 5.0. Agents and internal customers authenticate via Active Directory.
ptay
Znuny newbie

Post by ptay »

Mothra wrote:It's why the manual recommends you disable the user to group mapping from the Admin UI.
Yes, I removed all agents from groups before disabling Agents <-> Group mapping. I try to stick with the manual. :)