Pending Reminder vs Pending Customer Response

Moderator: crythias

StarDestroyer
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 5.0.x
Company: Hilite International

Pending Reminder vs Pending Customer Response

Post by StarDestroyer »

Currently I have two distinct use cases for the 'pending reminder' state.
  1. I've asked the customer a question and am awaiting a response.
  2. I've performed an action and am waiting for a certain amount of time to pass before the next step can be performed
In case #1, I'll reply to the customer using the standard email-external article. I'll set the next state to be 'pending reminder' and leave the reminder time to be 24 hours into the future (just to remind myself to follow up... unless I know the person is slow to respond and the ticket is low priority, then I might set the reminder to be a few days into the future). If the customer responds, then the ticket changes back to the 'open' state. If not, I get a reminder email. This is all well and good and the expected behavior.

In case #2, I'll reply to the customer using the standard email-external article. I'll set the next state to be 'pending reminder' and choose a date when I expect that the next step can be performed. For example, if I've ordered some parts and I know they'll be delivered in 3 days, I'll set the reminder to be 3 days into the future and the time to be roughly when the expected carrier typically delivers. What inevitably happens is the customer responds with a simple 'Thanks' email. As much as I appreciate the appreciation, my ticket then gets reset to the 'open' state and my carefully constructed reminder date/time gets lost.

My potential solution is to split this 'pending reminder' state into two different states. A 'pending reminder' state and a 'pending customer response' state. I would like the 'pending customer response' state to work exactly how the current 'pending reminder' state works. But I'd like to change 'pending reminder' to not change the ticket state at all (or change the reminder time) on a customer response. It should still send me an email that they responded, but it should not do anything to the ticket other than add their response as an article. I've done some searching, but I can't figure out at all how to make this a reality without changing some code. I'm hesitant to change the code because I'd like to keep updates in the future as simple as possible.

Is there a configuration to make this work? Or is my only option to make code changes?
OTRS 5.0.x on CentOS 6 w/MySQL Database
crythias

Re: Pending Reminder vs Pending Customer Response

Post by crythias »

or split the ticket from the article with the pending state.
OTRS 6.0.x (private/testing/public) on Linux with MySQL database.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
Need help? Before you ask
StarDestroyer
Znuny newbie
Company: Hilite International

Re: Pending Reminder vs Pending Customer Response

Post by StarDestroyer »

So basically just create a new ticket for the reminder? That would have the side-effect of also leaving the old ticket in the 'Open Tickets / Need to be Answered' section. Once nice thing about the pending state is that it hides the ticket from those main views until the reminder date comes up.
OTRS 5.0.x on CentOS 6 w/MySQL Database