Do you have tools that can test performance in otrs?

Moderator: crythias

OTRSRDNewbie
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.2, 5
Company: N/A

Do you have tools that can test performance in otrs?

Post by OTRSRDNewbie »

Hi

Sorry to be asking naive questions. I'm just new and needs to hurriedly perform.

We had a issue complained by a lot user. There is a slowdown on the tickets like when they change the responsible person, change ticket status, or send e-mail. Its intermittent, it happened today but not constantly but according to the users they can't do anything productive because when it happens like when they switch responsible it becomes a blank screen or they have to wait 10 to 30 mins.

Windows and Unix/Linux systems have core dumps that I can artificially force to generate a core dump or user dump. And look at modules or functions that seems to be hanging. Or user Performance tools. But unfortunately I'm only have login access and edit access to the otrs files. Are there otrs tools that I can use to check which Generic Agent or ACL or customs tasks are running several times or running very slow? I tried looking at the system logs and Performance logs earlier but nothing odd seems to be happening.

Also do you have suggestions on tools I can use to determine if its our application is slowing down or the network like how long it takes from the user changing ticket state from their workstation for that event to arrive at our server. And for our server to trigger an event and send a response? Can you suggests tools that I can consider
jojo
Znuny guru
Znuny Version: Git Master

Re: Do you have tools that can test performance in otrs?

Post by jojo »

how is email sending configured on the system? Via smtp or via sendmail?
"Production": OTRS™ 8, OTRS™ 7, STORM powered by OTRS
"Testing": ((OTRS Community Edition)) and git Master

Never change Defaults.pm! :: Blog
Professional Services:: http://www.otrs.com :: enjoy@otrs.com
OTRSRDNewbie
Znuny newbie

Post by OTRSRDNewbie »

I asked around the others some say its SMTP others say its sendmail. How do I confirm which one is configured?
jojo
Znuny guru
Znuny Version: Git Master

Post by jojo »

check Core::Sendmail
"Production": OTRS™ 8, OTRS™ 7, STORM powered by OTRS
"Testing": ((OTRS Community Edition)) and git Master

Never change Defaults.pm! :: Blog
Professional Services:: http://www.otrs.com :: enjoy@otrs.com
OTRSRDNewbie
Znuny newbie

Post by OTRSRDNewbie »

Ok its configured as sendmail
OTRSRDNewbie
Znuny newbie

Post by OTRSRDNewbie »

What effect could max_allowed_packet and query_cache_size not set or set lower or higher than in the installer guide do to the speed of otrs?
EXG133
Znuny expert
Znuny Version: 3.1.7 & 4.04

Post by EXG133 »

OTRSRDNewbie wrote:What effect could max_allowed_packet and query_cache_size not set or set lower or higher than in the installer guide do to the speed of otrs?
max_allowed_packet and query_cache_size are both MySQL settings. They could have an effect but it's difficult suggesting good values without access to your system, see as an example https://haydenjames.io/mysql-query-cach ... rformance/

From OTRS itself all you can do is run http://URL/otrs/index.pl?Action=AdminServiceCenter
This will give you some basic information about the system.

But performance issues must be checked on the server, it could be your webserver, database, mailserver or even hardware / OS.
OTRSRDNewbie
Znuny newbie

Post by OTRSRDNewbie »

Yes I'm trying to investigate if its the OTRS itself, the codes made to customize, smtp, the server itself, network, virtual hosts, database or ldap.

I'm new to otrs and maintaining servers. Most of my experience is in firmware development. I have work with large system before but we were most of the time not allowed to touch the customers servers. And given the customers userdump and Dr. Watson log to find the bug. This is new to me where someone else is in charge of the server, e-mail server, virtual host, .... Which is why I'm asking for help and suggestion on some good debugging tools. I don't think they would allow me to install wireshark, valgrind or force the system to generate a coredump.

I'm advised by the server account administrator guys to check our perl code because its operating at 98% cpu, memory also and the queue to run process do spike. I have checked the syslog but did not find anything different from before the slowness appeared. Where is the whole syslog located, the one shown in the otrs web is limited to the current transaction right so there's got to be more. I might be looking at just what was shown when I clicked Administrator->System log.

I am also advised to check smtp because we are notifying a lot of people via e-mail on certain events. And the account administrator told me that our mailer in otrs does not have a domain its consfigured like localhost which might be the problem. I am not really sure where to find it. Also is there a tool that I can use to debug the smtp, maybe trace if its bouncing around or rerouting to several servers before getting the destination. Is wireshark only for windows?

Is there a tool to test the network or bandwidth itself? If I can test if every request is rerouting or bouncing around alot or if the network is congested.

How do I test the virtual server hosts? What I can I check for the db side? For the ldap?
EXG133
Znuny expert
Znuny Version: 3.1.7 & 4.04

Post by EXG133 »

Well answering all that properly would take a few weeks :lol:

Can you first give us the specifications of your OTRS host:

OS
CPU
RAM

Database (+ local or remote?)

OTRS version
number of total tickets
number of open tickets
concurrent users