Retrieving email

Moderator: crythias

zigzagbe
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 2.4

Retrieving email

Post by zigzagbe »

Hi again,

I set my new mailbox using Admin > Postmaster mail account.
To retrieve emails, I need to click on "Run now" option -- all OK.

But is it possible to make this done automatically every 5 or 10 minutes by example ?
(I checked that, and unless I run it manually, no emails are retrieved from the pop server).

Thanks for advising ...
Vincent
crythias
Znuny Version: 5.0.x

Re: Retrieving email

Post by crythias »

http://doc.otrs.org/2.4/en/html/x1590.html

Notably, you'll want to make sure the OTRS user cron jobs are installed/configured properly. I'm not happy with PostMaster.pl 10 minutes (even down to 3 minutes...) -- This is not a failure of otrs, rather a configuration that I have as of yet not taken advantage. I've been rather used to procmail, so I'm focusing on that for more "instant" feedback, instead of polling. Certainly that won't work if you don't have email path available to send directly to the otrs server.
OTRS 6.0.x (private/testing/public) on Linux with MySQL database.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
Need help? Before you ask
giga0069
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.0.8

Post by giga0069 »

zigzagbe wrote:I set my new mailbox using Admin > Postmaster mail account.
To retrieve emails, I need to click on "Run now" option -- all OK.

But is it possible to make this done automatically every 5 or 10 minutes by example ?
(I checked that, and unless I run it manually, no emails are retrieved from the pop server).
Hi,

I don't know on what platform you're running OTRS, because you signature is missing, but....
CRON should have been installed and there is a predefined cron job which makes OTRS retreive the mail every 10 minutes.
You can read more about it in http://doc.otrs.org/2.4/en/html/x531.html#cronjobs .

When this doesn't work, maybe cron is not running (in Windows for example, it's a service).

giga0069
OTRS Produktiv: 3.1.12 / ITSM 3.1.7
OTRS Testing: 3.2
Apache2.2/MySQL 5
crythias

Post by crythias »

I should post some information that might matter for someone else (I can't seem to find this anywhere, so ...)

Do you want to have OTRS react instantly instead of however often fetchmail/PostMaster.pl runs?

The answer is procmail.

This is what I did to make it work for my default postfix system:
  • rename .procmailrc.dist to .procmailrc (if it wasn't already)
  • You may need to modify .procmailrc to have a proper SYS_HOME (maybe /opt/otrs?)
  • add an alias for root in /etc/aliases to a "real" address
  • run newaliases as root
  • edit /etc/postfix/main.cf and make sure this line is in there:
    mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail (or your own path)
  • restart postfix
emails sent to otrs@otrsserver will (should?) now instantly be handled by procmail/OTRS.
My goal is to have the box I'm POP3'ing forward to this account.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
kajeflento
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.0
Company: MINECOFIN

Post by kajeflento »

crythias wrote:I should post some information that might matter for someone else (I can't seem to find this anywhere, so ...)

Do you want to have OTRS react instantly instead of however often fetchmail/PostMaster.pl runs?

The answer is procmail.

This is what I did to make it work for my default postfix system:
  • rename .procmailrc.dist to .procmailrc (if it wasn't already)
  • You may need to modify .procmailrc to have a proper SYS_HOME (maybe /opt/otrs?)
  • add an alias for root in /etc/aliases to a "real" address
  • run newaliases as root
  • edit /etc/postfix/main.cf and make sure this line is in there:
    mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail (or your own path)
  • restart postfix
emails sent to otrs@otrsserver will (should?) now instantly be handled by procmail/OTRS.
My goal is to have the box I'm POP3'ing forward to this account.

Hey!
I was looking for the solution for the problem except that i'm using OTRS in windows, can you please tell me how it can be done in Windows?

Waiting for your help i thank yu
crythias

Post by crythias »

kajeflento wrote: can you please tell me how it can be done in Windows?
I don't think I'd be able to do this in a way that would make sense for Windows users. You certainly can query a popular search engine for procmail on windows but the other part of that is getting that procmail instance to talk to your otrs instance. In Linux, it's a bit different as there are things like user context where otrs runs as otrs as if otrs is a real user.