Automatically choose SLA after Service has been selected

Moderator: crythias

Nicsoft
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 2.4

Automatically choose SLA after Service has been selected

Post by Nicsoft »

Hello,

I have created a service which has a SLA associated. When the customer creates a new ticket via the Customer Web, I would like the SLA to be automatically chosen when the user has chosen a service. It's an unecessary step for the user to choose SLA, and if it's a bigger company it may not be possible for the user to know what SLA should be chosen (or even if it is just one to choose from it is one step to many). The best case is that the SLA-field isn't even visible when the user creates a new Ticket.

How can I do this?

Thanks in advance!

/Niklas
jojo
Znuny guru
Znuny Version: Git Master

Re: Automatically choose SLA after Service has been selected

Post by jojo »

As services can have multiple SLAs this behavior is intended
"Production": OTRS™ 8, OTRS™ 7, STORM powered by OTRS
"Testing": ((OTRS Community Edition)) and git Master

Never change Defaults.pm! :: Blog
Professional Services:: http://www.otrs.com :: enjoy@otrs.com
Nicsoft
Znuny newbie

Post by Nicsoft »

Thanks for your answer!

In the scenario I am thinking about, there can only be one SLA per service per customer.

Rebards,
Niklas
davidbann
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 6.5.2

Post by davidbann »

I agree with Jojo in that it is intended for multiple SLA's per service, but I also agree with Niklas that it would be nice to perhaps default to the SLA if there is only one, or even better, to take away the option of an SLA if there is only one for the selected service.

This defaulting would create a less cumbersome user interface for the agents and users...
Nicsoft
Znuny newbie

Post by Nicsoft »

Agreed!

Is themes a way to go if I'd like to create this kind of behaviour? Or is themes just handling the graphical look? (I've started to look into that, but haven't gotten that far yet)

If you think about a scenario where OTRS should be the interface to a service desk, I think it is important that you can cusomize the interface so it is as easy to use as possible and not confusing. Think that grandma and grandpa should post a case, ask them to choose what type it is and what SLA should be used. I don't think it would be too obvious for them what to choose.... (Actually, I could have the same problem knowing what SLA to choose) For a service desk used by normal consumers (or big corporate employees), this can be a go/no-go question for choosing OTRS as I see it. For usage between 1st and 2nd/3rd line it can still work even if you cannot do this kind of customization.

It think OTRS seems to be great, making it possible to customize the customer interface a bit more would make it even more powerfull and usable.

/Niklas
fbobraga
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 2.4.7

Post by fbobraga »

Nicsoft wrote:(...)
making it possible to customize the customer interface a bit more would make it even more powerfull and usable.
(...)
This is the "primary why" that our choose is not to use the OTRS's customer web interface to open tickets at all (only by phone/mail and custom webform - take a look at http://forums.otrs.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... orm#p21724)
Evaluation/pilot: OTRS 2.4.7 on Linux (CentOS 5.4) with MySQL database connected to an Active Directory for Agents and Customers.
Nicsoft
Znuny newbie

Post by Nicsoft »

Thank you for your answer! Good information the thread you're pointing at!

Ok, I see. Thinking about that you got the suggestion creating your own form on the thread that you are pointing at, can I assume that it is not possible to use themes in order to achieve what I'm lookinhg for?

Regards,
Niklas
davidbann
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 6.5.2

Post by davidbann »

Nicsoft wrote:Thinking about that you got the suggestion creating your own form on the thread that you are pointing at, can I assume that it is not possible to use themes in order to achieve what I'm lookinhg for?
I have been looking into this as well, and it does not look like you have this sort of flexibility in the theme...
Nicsoft
Znuny newbie

Post by Nicsoft »

davidbann wrote: I have been looking into this as well, and it does not look like you have this sort of flexibility in the theme...
Hm, ok! Guess we can't use OTRS for Service Desk functionality where the end-user/consumer contacts the Service Desk via Customer Web Form then, too unuser-friendly for that. Perhaps OTRS will fix this in next or other coming release?

Thanks for your input!
Nicsoft
Znuny newbie

Post by Nicsoft »

Is this fixed in OTRS 3? How do I configure it if that is the case?

Thanks!