Notifications to ticket responsible

Moderator: crythias

aph
Znuny superhero
Znuny Version: 3.3.9, 4.x, 5.x

Notifications to ticket responsible

Post by aph »

How do I enable Email notifications to the responsible? For example, I get a notification that resposbility for ticket has been passed over to me, however I do not receive a notification that a note has been added to the ticket, which I would get if I were the ticket owner.
OTRS 3.3.x (private/testing) on Windows Server 2008 with MSSQL database.
OTRS 3.3.x (private/testing) on CentOS with MySQL database and apache
aph
Znuny superhero

Re: Notifications to ticket responsible

Post by aph »

any way I can configure this in sysconfig?
aph
Znuny superhero

Post by aph »

I think, I can do it with event based notification for ArticleCreate.

I find it strange however that the ticket responsible doesn't get notified by default. After all she is the one responsible for processing the ticket and has more at stake than the owner.

As far as I understand, ticket responsible is the agent who actually processes the ticket and owner is the controller. For me the scenario is:
A ticket is created, let's say the boss is set as the owner as she has the task to make sure ticket is processed. The boss then sets one of her subordinates as the responsible who has the task of actually processing the ticket. Once let's say the subordinates part of the task is done, the boss then makes subordinate nr. 2 responsible for the ticket and so on. Hence I feel the responsible should also be informed by default as she is the one actually processing the ticket.
Or am I getting the owner responsible concept wrong?
jojo
Znuny guru
Znuny Version: Git Master

Post by jojo »

Owner is the one actually doing the work
responsible the "controller"/boss

Neverless the responsible will receive same notifications like the owner. (Please note that OTRS will not inform you on actions you do, so if you set yourself to responsible you will not receive any mail)
"Production": OTRS™ 8, OTRS™ 7, STORM powered by OTRS
"Testing": ((OTRS Community Edition)) and git Master

Never change Defaults.pm! :: Blog
Professional Services:: http://www.otrs.com :: enjoy@otrs.com
aph
Znuny superhero

Post by aph »

Thanks! You mean the responsible will receive notifications if she sets Ticket follow up notification under preferences to yes?
(Please note that OTRS will not inform you on actions you do, so if you set yourself to responsible you will not receive any mail)
And I suppose the above refers to notification which roughly says ticket responsibility has been transferred to you. So if I set myself as responsible, I wouldn't get the notification that I set myself as responsible for the ticket :D
Last edited by aph on 22 Jan 2015, 13:21, edited 1 time in total.
jojo
Znuny guru
Znuny Version: Git Master

Post by jojo »

yes
"Production": OTRS™ 8, OTRS™ 7, STORM powered by OTRS
"Testing": ((OTRS Community Edition)) and git Master

Never change Defaults.pm! :: Blog
Professional Services:: http://www.otrs.com :: enjoy@otrs.com
esoul
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 6.0.19

Post by esoul »

jojo wrote: 22 Jan 2015, 13:14 Owner is the one actually doing the work
I just had the same discussion with my colleagues and had to change my opinion after reading "Ticket Responsibility" here.

The owner keeps the ticket and chooses through the field "responsible" an agent to work on the ticket. The owner is not changed. So the owner is the boss.
root
Administrator
Znuny Version: Znuny and Znuny LTS
Company: Znuny

Post by root »

esoul wrote: 04 Aug 2022, 09:46
jojo wrote: 22 Jan 2015, 13:14 Owner is the one actually doing the work
I just had the same discussion with my colleagues and had to change my opinion after reading "Ticket Responsibility" here.

The owner keeps the ticket and chooses through the field "responsible" an agent to work on the ticket. The owner is not changed. So the owner is the boss.
Hi,
Just to be clear: both ways are possible and it just depends on how you define your workflows. My experience after 20 years: responsible is more used for roles like a service owner or superior.

Anyway, I do not understand why you reply on a seven year old post. Usually the person who are involved this topic have solved their issue.

- Roy
Znuny and Znuny LTS running on CentOS / RHEL / Debian / SLES / MySQL / PostgreSQL / Oracle / OpenLDAP / Active Directory / SSO

Use a test system - always.

Do you need professional services? Check out https://www.znuny.com/

Do you want to contribute or want to know where it goes ?
esoul
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 6.0.19

Post by esoul »

root wrote: 04 Aug 2022, 10:04 Anyway, I do not understand why you reply on a seven year old post. Usually the person who are involved this topic have solved their issue.
People look for answer here, so I thought I point to the official OTRS documentation which provides an explanation instead of opinions.

root wrote: 04 Aug 2022, 10:04 My experience after 20 years: responsible is more used for roles like a service owner or superior.
Newcomers get confused and in our company workflows got stuck, just because of this issue. Why? Because I have the same understanding of "owner" and "responsible" like you do but others do not.

But it is good to know, that OTRS allows either way.
root
Administrator
Znuny Version: Znuny and Znuny LTS
Company: Znuny

Post by root »

esoul wrote: 04 Aug 2022, 13:44 People look for answer here, so I thought I point to the official OTRS documentation which provides an explanation instead of opinions.
Wrong manual anyway ;-)
root wrote: 04 Aug 2022, 10:04 My experience after 20 years: responsible is more used for roles like a service owner or superior.
Newcomers get confused and in our company workflows got stuck, just because of this issue. Why? Because I have the same understanding of "owner" and "responsible" like you do but others do not.
[/quote]

This is why we tell every customer they need a proper documentation/manual based on their specific workflows, requirements and settings. Such a system needs guidance and leadership by the person who "owns" it. I'm pretty sure there are many other understandings out there too.

- Roy
Znuny and Znuny LTS running on CentOS / RHEL / Debian / SLES / MySQL / PostgreSQL / Oracle / OpenLDAP / Active Directory / SSO

Use a test system - always.

Do you need professional services? Check out https://www.znuny.com/

Do you want to contribute or want to know where it goes ?
skullz
Znuny superhero
Znuny Version: LTS and Features

Post by skullz »

well, its depends on your workflow and how you want to define owner and responsible. Since both user role has a same permissions.
certain case may be ,

owner = person in charge
responsible = backup

owner = person in charge
responsible = manager/supervisor

etc...

Since this wording may confuse you, take a look translation..

https://doc.znuny.org/doc/manual/develo ... ation-file