Perl is utilizing 90% cpu

Moderator: crythias

CSkila
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: OTRS 5

Perl is utilizing 90% cpu

Post by CSkila »

Hi
we need your suggestions on the performance issues and upgrade to OTRS 5 on Linux enviroment.

Below the server (virtual machine) hardware and software configuration:
- RAM: 24 Gb
- vCPU: 16
- HDD : 400 Gb

and OTRS configuration:
- 30 agent;
- more than 500 ticket a day;

On this server only OTRS 3.3.12 is running and we have often performance issues, with Perl that utilizes 90% cpu.

More info are:
- OTRS is integrated with an external TTS through "web services" which sends and receives invokers for any single ticket.
- OTRS is integrated with the mail-server therefore (every hour) it downloads the mails and creates new tickets.

We followed many suggestions in order to reduce performance issue, both taken from this forum and other sources, but nothing has been solved.
Therefore we are thinking to upgrade OTRS to version 5 on a Linux enviroment (Red Hat 7 64bit).

Our questions is:
are there any performance issue known on this configuration?
can we migrate on linux with OTRS 5 to solve our issues?

Thanks
Regards

Carlo
RStraub
Znuny guru
Znuny Version: 6.0.14

Re: Perl is utilizing 90% cpu

Post by RStraub »

24 GB sounds way too much for 30 agents. However I know that in the past (which should apply to your version 3) there were many many threads regarding windows and the perl there. Since there were so many problems, OTRS was discontinued on windows.

I would suggest to create your setup on linux (and upgrade) before further optimizing. It might suffice to fix your performance issue.
Currently using: OTRS 6.0.14 -- MariaDB -- Ubuntu 16 LTS
EXG133
Znuny expert
Znuny Version: 3.1.7 & 4.04

Re: Perl is utilizing 90% cpu

Post by EXG133 »

I haven't used OTRS on Windows since a long time, but on Linux seeing any perl process means mod_perl isn't activated. Not using mod_perl would cause very poor performance.
But I would definitely advise upgrading to Linux and OTRS 5, there are plenty of improvements.