Exporting Tickets from OTRS 6

Moderator: crythias

roderickal96
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 6.0.28

Exporting Tickets from OTRS 6

Post by roderickal96 »

Hello,

We're looking to migrate away from OTRS. Is there a way I can export all our existing tickets to a .csv file to use for importing into a new system? We have a lot of tickets. It seems we've been using OTRS since around 2010. I would also appreciate any advice if anyone else has ever gone through a migration process.
root
Administrator
Znuny Version: Znuny and Znuny LTS
Company: Znuny

Re: Exporting Tickets from OTRS 6

Post by root »

Hi,

Exporting tickets is not easy as it sounds, especially with a CSV file. What about attachments, etc.? Every time I did it, it needed custom development.

- Roy
Znuny and Znuny LTS running on CentOS / RHEL / Debian / SLES / MySQL / PostgreSQL / Oracle / OpenLDAP / Active Directory / SSO

Use a test system - always.

Do you need professional services? Check out https://www.znuny.com/

Do you want to contribute or want to know where it goes ?
roderickal96
Znuny newbie

Post by roderickal96 »

What kind of custom development? Were you ever able to actually do it? I'm not even sure how to start. I figured it'd be more difficult than just saving tickets as csv files.
root
Administrator
Znuny Version: Znuny and Znuny LTS
Company: Znuny

Post by root »

Hi,

Most of the time it is a script getting data out of system A and insert into system B. It always depends on the API and requirements of which data is needed.
- Roy
Znuny and Znuny LTS running on CentOS / RHEL / Debian / SLES / MySQL / PostgreSQL / Oracle / OpenLDAP / Active Directory / SSO

Use a test system - always.

Do you need professional services? Check out https://www.znuny.com/

Do you want to contribute or want to know where it goes ?
alexus
Znuny wizard
Znuny Version: OTRS 6 CE
Company: Radiant System Group s.r.o

Post by alexus »

Hi,

One of the options for solving this problem is the use of standard OTRS REST API - method TicketGet. You can specify how detailed the ticket information will be. For every ticket you can get JSON data.

If you need only list of tickets without articles you get use SQL-request -

Code: Select all

SELECT * from ticket LIMIT X
Alexey Yusov

Production: OTRS CE ITSM 6.0.28 on CentOS 7 + Apache 2.4 + MariaDB 10.4.13 + Radiant Customer Portal

Radiant System OTRS Intergrator
RS4OTRS marketplace
Stay tuned on our Facebook
((OTRS)) Community Edition - what next?
roderickal96
Znuny newbie

Post by roderickal96 »

root wrote: 20 Jan 2021, 20:38 Hi,

Most of the time it is a script getting data out of system A and insert into system B. It always depends on the API and requirements of which data is needed.
- Roy
Yeah, that's what confuses me. I'm not too sure how to go about everything. I just know I'm going to need to get all our existing tickets out someway and imported into some new system. I keep seeing people reference "articles" within the tickets, but I'm not sure what that means. Sorry if this is all basic. I only inherited OTRS from when it was setup before I got to my company.
reneeb
Znuny guru
Znuny Version: 6.0.x
Company: Perl-Services.de

Post by reneeb »

So you should think about the requirements first and get used to the terms used in OTRS.

You'd like to get all the *ticket*s from your OTRS. A ticket is just a "container" for the communication about one topic. Think about it like this thread. You started the thread "Exporting Tickets from OTRS 6". Within this thread you get answers or you respond to some answers. You can find that in your OTRS tickets as well. Your original question and the answers would be articles (one article per question/answer) in the OTRS ticket.

There are lots of data that belong to the container (ticket): Who is the customer? Which priority is allocated? Who is the owner? Which queue? Ticket dynamic fields ...

And there are lots of data that belong to the article: Who was the sender? Article dynamic fields ...

You have to look at the new system and think about the data you want to migrate. Can you migrate all the data? What is needed, what can be left behind? Are the values available in the new system (e.g. are the priority names the same or do you have to do a mapping from OTRS values to the new system)?
Perl / Znuny development: http://perl-services.de
Free Znuny add ons from the community: http://opar.perl-services.de
Commercial add ons: http://feature-addons.de
roderickal96
Znuny newbie

Post by roderickal96 »

reneeb wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 10:35 So you should think about the requirements first and get used to the terms used in OTRS.

You'd like to get all the *ticket*s from your OTRS. A ticket is just a "container" for the communication about one topic. Think about it like this thread. You started the thread "Exporting Tickets from OTRS 6". Within this thread you get answers or you respond to some answers. You can find that in your OTRS tickets as well. Your original question and the answers would be articles (one article per question/answer) in the OTRS ticket.

There are lots of data that belong to the container (ticket): Who is the customer? Which priority is allocated? Who is the owner? Which queue? Ticket dynamic fields ...

And there are lots of data that belong to the article: Who was the sender? Article dynamic fields ...

You have to look at the new system and think about the data you want to migrate. Can you migrate all the data? What is needed, what can be left behind? Are the values available in the new system (e.g. are the priority names the same or do you have to do a mapping from OTRS values to the new system)?
Thank you for explaining that so well. It really does help. So for example let's say I just want to export all tickets and their articles, any attachments, who is the owner, and the queue it was in. How would I then go into OTRS and begin to export that data?
zzz
Znuny superhero
Znuny Version: All
Company: Efflux GmbH

Post by zzz »

Hey,

Take a look into the database. If the attachments are stored in DB (default), you should be able to get everything you need with a couple of SELECT statements.

Start with otrs.ticket and work your way into the connected tables.

— Emin
Professional OTRS, Znuny & OTOBO services: efflux.de | efflux.de/en/

Free and premium add-ons: German | English
roderickal96
Znuny newbie

Post by roderickal96 »

zzz wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 21:45 Hey,

Take a look into the database. If the attachments are stored in DB (default), you should be able to get everything you need with a couple of SELECT statements.

Start with otrs.ticket and work your way into the connected tables.

— Emin
Thank you! I'll see what I can find via digging. Is there a command to use from the DB to export to a file? Or a command within otrs?