Process tickets: Formatting/Markup and show field based on checkbox

Moderator: crythias

Rhendak
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: Znuny LTS 6.0.36

Process tickets: Formatting/Markup and show field based on checkbox

Post by Rhendak »

Hello all,

I've recently inherited an operation OTRS 5.0.3 environment which has been in use for some years. There has been no documentation of the configuration of this OTRS environment.

I've managed to get myself fairly familiar with it and I'm currently working on creating some automated process via process tickets. However running in to a few minor preferences issues on which I could not find any documentation.

1. Formatting/Markup
I'm creating a new hire form and I'd like to do some formatting in the form of the process ticket, to make it look a little cleaner and easier to read with clear separations. Separations I would like are "Employee Details", "Hardware", "Applications", "Free entry". Please see the below screenshot. I was able to do some "formatting" for the "Hardware" section, because I set the description of the field "Copy Rights from" to "Hardware". Obviously this way of formatting is not ideal, so I'm wondering if there are any other ways in which I can separate the different sections in the form.

2. Show field based on checkbox
One thing I'd like, is that for example, based on if the customer checked the "Desktop" checkbox field, another field should become visible asking the location where the desktop needs to be placed. I'd like to do this in the form of 3 dropdown fields. For example:
  • If the customer checks the Desktop checkbox, a dropdown should become available with options "Building 1, Building 2".
  • Based on the customers selection in the dropdown another field should become visible, listing the amount of floors in that building.
  • Based on selecting the floor, another dropdown list should become visible showing each room on that floor for selection.
Wondering if either of these two things is possible to create a cleaner look and a better customer experience with my form. Can you explain me if this is possible and if so what would be the best way to go about it?
Thank you in advance for any answers.
zzz
Znuny superhero
Znuny Version: All
Company: Efflux GmbH

Re: Process tickets: Formatting/Markup and show field based on checkbox

Post by zzz »

Hello,

there is no out-of-the-box way to these things, but they can be archived with some programming/styling.

Formatting/Markup can be done with CSS (depending on how you'd like it to look).
Showing fields based on checkboxes/values is a classic request that can be done with JavaScript.

That is, unfortunately, currently the only way to change the user experience in these forms.

Best regards
Emin
Professional OTRS, Znuny & OTOBO services: efflux.de | efflux.de/en/

Free and premium add-ons: German | English
Rhendak
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: Znuny LTS 6.0.36

Post by Rhendak »

Thank you for your answer.

Would it be possible to make a field mandatory only after a checkbox is checked, that otherwise isn't mandatory?
jojo
Znuny guru
Znuny Version: Git Master

Post by jojo »

without code changes or existing (paid) modules it is not possible. BTW: your version is outdated and has several known security issues. So you should update first to a supported version
"Production": OTRS™ 8, OTRS™ 7, STORM powered by OTRS
"Testing": ((OTRS Community Edition)) and git Master

Never change Defaults.pm! :: Blog
Professional Services:: http://www.otrs.com :: enjoy@otrs.com
zzz
Znuny superhero
Znuny Version: All
Company: Efflux GmbH

Post by zzz »

Rhendak wrote: 20 Mar 2021, 21:48 Thank you for your answer.

Would it be possible to make a field mandatory only after a checkbox is checked, that otherwise isn't mandatory?
Yes, it's possible to make a field mandatory depending on another field (programmatically as well.)

— Emin
Professional OTRS, Znuny & OTOBO services: efflux.de | efflux.de/en/

Free and premium add-ons: German | English