AWS Setup

Moderator: crythias

jeansantos
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 6.0.36

AWS Setup

Post by jeansantos »

Good day!

I have a few OTRS instances running on AWS, and I'm facing a performance issue on the database.
After some troubleshooting, the issue is the article storage (Kernel::System::Ticket::Article::Backend::MIMEBase), which we set to the database and not the Filesystem.
So I'm considering this change, but I'm trying to figure out if the EFS or EBS would be the best storage for larger setups as EBS is faster, but EFS is more fault tolerant (as replicates between AZs).
Does anyone have experience with setting UP a High Available OTRS on AWS?
I would appreciate any input on this; many thanks in advance.
Jean
Sysadmin
owi
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 6.4.2
Company: terreActive AG

Re: AWS Setup

Post by owi »

Both EFS and EBS are viable, it depends on your needs and preferences.

What about S3 mounted as a filesystem? In my experience, the OTRS Article storage is mostly "Write Once Read Never". An S3 bucket with an intelligent storage class is probably the most cost effective solution for that.
root
Administrator
Znuny Version: Znuny and Znuny LTS
Company: Znuny

Post by root »

owi wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 08:12 the OTRS Article storage is mostly "Write Once Read Never".
Hi,

So, you never access your attachments again?

- Roy
Znuny and Znuny LTS running on CentOS / RHEL / Debian / SLES / MySQL / PostgreSQL / Oracle / OpenLDAP / Active Directory / SSO

Use a test system - always.

Do you need professional services? Check out https://www.znuny.com/

Do you want to contribute or want to know where it goes ?
owi
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 6.4.2
Company: terreActive AG

Post by owi »

root wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 08:17 So, you never access your attachments again?
I said "mostly" :)

99% of my attachments are used at most once, then fill up the archive forever. That's why I suggested S3. It can swallow huge amounts of data at very little cost, as long as you don't retrieve it.
bschmalhofer
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 6.0
Company: Bernhard Schmalhofer

Post by bschmalhofer »

owi wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 08:12 What about S3 mounted as a filesystem? In my experience, the OTRS Article storage is mostly "Write Once Read Never". An S3 bucket with an intelligent storage class is probably the most cost effective solution for that.
Another option is to create a dedicated article storage backend for S3. Full file system support is not really needed as articles are written and read as complete objects, not line per line. In the long run, streaming large attachments directly from S3 to the browser might also be a nice feature.