Slow page loads [SOLVED]

Moderator: crythias

gob
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.0.4

Slow page loads [SOLVED]

Post by gob »

Hi
Been running OTRS/Znuny CE for around 15 years and always found it really performant.
My current version is 7.0.13 running in a Debian 12 LXC container on Proxmox. The database is around 20gb.

Since upgrading the LXC container from Debian 10 >> 11 >> 12 we've noticed a long delay in the initial page loads and inspecting the browser network loading tines it shows typically a > 5 second delay in displaying the initial page elements.
znuny_load_times.png

Surprisingly the html page is reported as 15MB which would explain the page load delay.
I have another relatively new instance of znuny for a different department which loads quickly but the page siize is only around 250Kb.

Any thoughts on why my old installation would have such a large size index.pl and therefore poor loading times?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by gob on 14 Mar 2024, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.
root
Administrator
Znuny Version: Znuny and Znuny LTS
Company: Znuny

Re: Slow page loads

Post by root »

Hi,

Before I start any further investigation, I recommend an update of Znuny 7.0.15. This is the quickest way to check if it's related to your 7.0.13. It doesn't hurt and is a quick task.

- Roy
Znuny and Znuny LTS running on CentOS / RHEL / Debian / SLES / MySQL / PostgreSQL / Oracle / OpenLDAP / Active Directory / SSO

Use a test system - always.

Do you need professional services? Check out https://www.znuny.com/

Do you want to contribute or want to know where it goes ?
hkais
Znuny expert
Znuny Version: see in post

Post by hkais »

have you upgraded ONLY debian
or did you also upgrade znuny on this way too?

AFAIK you did need to upgrade both to do that big version jumps from debian
Elected 2022-06 as an IT Governance Portal Expert. The portal for Znuny, OTRS and OTOBO users
gob
Znuny newbie

Post by gob »

Thanks both for your replies.

I performed the Debian upgrade incrementally last year and also some Znuny upgrades too. Have since upgraded Znuny a few times too. None of the Znuny upgrades have helped the initial load times.
I'm happy to upgrade to 7.0.15 but I don't think that will resolve it. I will spin up a copy from backup and test the upgrade today.
gob
Znuny newbie

Re: Slow page loads [SOLVED]

Post by gob »

I've managed to resolve the issue now.
After looking at the generated page source code I noticed 218,000 lines of code that was generating the Alert notifications dropdown list up in the top right hand corner.
I had alert notifications enabled but never actually looked at them or cleared them.
Clearing those notifications has made the page load instantly again.

Hope this helps someone in the future!
root
Administrator
Znuny Version: Znuny and Znuny LTS
Company: Znuny

Post by root »

Hi,

Which code lines of Znuny should have caused this?

- Roy
Znuny and Znuny LTS running on CentOS / RHEL / Debian / SLES / MySQL / PostgreSQL / Oracle / OpenLDAP / Active Directory / SSO

Use a test system - always.

Do you need professional services? Check out https://www.znuny.com/

Do you want to contribute or want to know where it goes ?
gob
Znuny newbie

Post by gob »

@root

I don't think this is a bug as such, but if you have all of your "Bell" notifications enabled in Personal Preferences >> Notifications, that generates a lot of notifications on a busy znuny instance. If you do not clear those notifications the page loads 20 lines of HTML per notification, starting around line 317 in my page source.
Here's an example of a single notification:

Code: Select all

<ul class="ActivityList scroll-bar-styled bar-no-left-border">
                                <li class="Activity" data-activity-id="93724" data-activity-state="new">
                                    <a href="https://sd.domain.com/znuny/index.pl?Action=AgentTicketZoom;TicketID=55466" target="_self" class="activity-link activity dropdown-item">
                                        <span class="iconWrapper">
                                            <i class="activity-icon fa fa-ticket"></i>
                                            <span class="ActivityState activity-new"></span>
                                        </span>
                                        <span class="textWrapper">
                                            <p class="activity-title">[Ticket#2024031478000215] Ticket Created: test</p>
                                            <p class="activity-text">Hi Gordon,

ticket [Ticket#2024031478000215] has been created in queue UK::TEST.

Fred Smith wrote...</p>
                                            <p class="activity-time">14/03/2024 12:05 (Europe/London)</p>
                                        </span>
                                    </a>
                                    <span class="activity-delete icon-hover" data-activity-id="93724">
                                        <i class="fa fa-close"></i>
                                    </span>
                                </li>
A new <li></li> code block is generated for each notification.