Customize Appearance of Customer User Management [Solved]

Moderator: crythias

n0manarmy
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 2.47

Customize Appearance of Customer User Management [Solved]

Post by n0manarmy »

Two part issue

My current configuration checks customers against my AD structure and I've added a second section in Config.pm to look up against additional fields of the customer_user table in the OTRS database. Our customers are looked up under AD (LDAP) and I want to add printers as additional entities in the second section of the Config.pm.

I'm able to add devices with the customized view under the Config.pm.

I'm able to search and find them as customers in Phone-Ticket, however I'm not getting a Customer History for the printers (I've generated a few test tickets to see if they show in the customer history.) This is the first issue I'm having.

My second issue is that when I search to find the printer I've added I want to have the additional fields listed under Customer User Management as well as change what fields are required for and not required.
Last edited by n0manarmy on 19 Aug 2010, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
crythias
Znuny Version: 5.0.x

Re: Customize Appearance of Customer User Management

Post by crythias »

Hm. It doesn't appear that you'd need the second lookup in general for your printers. At least, not as direct lookups against the customer_user table. This seems redundant. I have customers that show up that aren't in my active directory lookup (because I'm using Google Voice to forward voicemail to OTRS. Yeah. Isn't that cool?) but the point of that is the Google Voice email isn't in my active directory, yet has customer history in OTRS, with no additional configuration after the active directory lookup for my internal customer user base.

What does that have to do with you? Well, not a lot, except that I was intrigued that you wanted printers as customers. Printers don't generally have unique email addresses, but let's say they do. The email address should show history without need for the second OTRS lookup. On the other hand, I was thinking, "Why aren't you using active directory lookups for your printers?" I can guess that they're not all on your domain, but if the printers are on active directory, they might just as easily be *that* secondary customer lookup via active directory (although again, the email address may not be available.)
OTRS 6.0.x (private/testing/public) on Linux with MySQL database.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
Need help? Before you ask
n0manarmy
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 2.47

Post by n0manarmy »

crythias wrote:Hm. It doesn't appear that you'd need the second lookup in general for your printers. At least, not as direct lookups against the customer_user table. This seems redundant. I have customers that show up that aren't in my active directory lookup (because I'm using Google Voice to forward voicemail to OTRS. Yeah. Isn't that cool?) but the point of that is the Google Voice email isn't in my active directory, yet has customer history in OTRS, with no additional configuration after the active directory lookup for my internal customer user base.

What does that have to do with you? Well, not a lot, except that I was intrigued that you wanted printers as customers. Printers don't generally have unique email addresses, but let's say they do. The email address should show history without need for the second OTRS lookup. On the other hand, I was thinking, "Why aren't you using active directory lookups for your printers?" I can guess that they're not all on your domain, but if the printers are on active directory, they might just as easily be *that* secondary customer lookup via active directory (although again, the email address may not be available.)
My initial reasoning for wanting to add printers to OTRS is that we contact an outside company when users need a cartridge. We were logging each call as the user but often times there are multiple users to a single printer. The thought then would be to track the printer. Since the ITSM inventory piece doesn't tie back to phone/email ticket, the only other solution would be to find a way to look up printers. My initial thought was to put them in to Active Directory. The problem with this is to that to actually put a printer in to AD, they need to be a network printer, not all printers that we call are network printers. I could spoof a user account as a printer but this adds an additional 250+ "user accounts" to our current AD structure of 2500+ accounts. This might be the way to go, we'll see.
crythias
Znuny Version: 5.0.x

Post by crythias »

I think you might have made this too hard. You might not need to add the printers to your active directory. You probably may only need to add the printers with unique email addresses as customers/users directly into the customer database of otrs without having to have that second query. Also verify that the printers have the same Company ID as other employees of the company.
OTRS 6.0.x (private/testing/public) on Linux with MySQL database.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
Need help? Before you ask