OTRS Activities Writing to Database Often VERY slow

Moderator: crythias

jdamico
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 2.4.7

OTRS Activities Writing to Database Often VERY slow

Post by jdamico »

PROBLEM:

Any OTRS activities that gather information from the database are always VERY fast.

OTRS activities that write to the database are either VERY fast (about 5 - 10% of the time), or BRUTALLY SLOW. For example, sometimes creating a new phone ticket after hitting the create button takes a blink. Most of the time it takes just over 4 minutes for the page to refresh. It's one or the other and nothing in between,

However.....if you wait it out....it does create the new ticket, update the owner, or close the ticket, or other writing operation.

I've been scouring the Internet for references to this problem without success. Since I am not a Linux guru, any thoughts, even ones you think might be obvious, would be graciously welcomed.

INFORMATION ABOUT THE SYSTEM:

OTRS 2.4.7 with MySQL back end running on new installation of x386 CentOS 5.3, all patched up, with 2 virtual CPUs, no GUI, and allocated 2 GB of RAM in a Virtual Machine sitting on a 64-bit Athln XenServer with 8 GB of RAM total.

otrs.checkModules reports "ok" across the board.

Support Assessment:

Check "max_allowed_packet" setting. Your configuration setting is 50 MB. OK
Check "query_cache_size" setting. 95 MB OK

Check database version. MySQL 5.0.77 OK

A CPU load check. We try to find out if the system load in the last 15 minutes > 1. The Host System has a load: 0.00 in the last 1 minute 0.00 in the last 5 minutes 0.00 in the last 15 minutes OK
Check disk usage. Disk usage ( [4%],/dev/xvda1[23%]). OK
Shows the used distribution. "CentOS release 5.5 (Final)Kernel " is used. OK
Shows the used Kernel version. "Linux PSTSJUN10 2.6.18-194.3.1.el5xen #1 SMP Thu May 13 14:27:32 EDT 2010 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux" is used. OK
A Memory Check. We try to find out if SwapFree : SwapTotal < 60 % or if more than 200 MB Swap is used. The Host System has: 2048 MB Memory total 1071 MB Memory free 4063 MB Swap total 4063 MB Swap free OK
Check Perl Version. Perl 5.8.8 (linux) is used. OK

Check if the system uses Apache::DBI. Apache::DBI OK
Check if the system uses Apache::Reload/Apache2::Reload. Apache2::Reload OK
Display web server version. You are running Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS). OK
Check for CGI Accelerator. mod_perl/2.0.4 OK

There is one problem. My FQDN is reporting as needing work which may be true since the server doesn't face the internet right now.

Thanks for any help the community can offer.

Let me know if there is any other information that might provide some insight.

John D'Amico
Plexis
ferrosti
Znuny superhero
Znuny Version: 3.0

Re: OTRS Activities Writing to Database Often VERY slow

Post by ferrosti »

Since you mention a malformed FQDN, this could also be an error with looking up its name.
I know that we had some similar issue which was solved when giving the machine consistend name entries in its own host file as well as its DNS. I am not familiar with this kind of problem, since this was solved by a collegue who knows better about apache and networking than me.
openSuSE on ESX
IT-Helpdesk: OTRS 3.0
Customer Service: OTRS 3.0 (upgraded from 2.3)
Customer Service (subsidiary): OTRS 3.0
+additional test and development systems
jdamico
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 2.4.7

Post by jdamico »

Thanks for the observation.

Though I'm handy, I'm not a technician myself. The next time I can allocate some real technician time, I'll have them take a look.

If it resolves the problem (or not), I'll post the results.

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Your observations are greatly appreciated.

John D'Amico
hvariava
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 2.4

Post by hvariava »

John D'Amico,

did you get your ticket creation delay issue resolved? If yes, how?

- Hiren