Installation on 1 Server, Mail in other server

Moderator: crythias

kronos
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.0.5

Installation on 1 Server, Mail in other server

Post by kronos »

Hi everyone.

We are currently deploying a solution for a customer, and we've been getting a few difficulties. Here goes:

Installation is on a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine, with another Windows Server 2008 R2 with MSSQL 2008 and yet another server that has the Exchange Server 2007 that fetches the mail. The first machine where the OTRS is installed has external access, but the other machines don't, and are placed behind a restrictive firewall. The customer does not allow port 110 for POP3 to be opened between the machine where the OTRS is installed and the Exchange Server Machine.
However we can access port 110 from the machine that has the MSSQL 2008 (containing the OTRS database).
What i would like to know is, what possibilities do i have to run the otrs.PostMasterMailbox.pl in the machine where the MSSQL containing the OTRS Database (but not the OTRS installation) is installed.
ferrosti
Znuny superhero
Znuny Version: 3.0

Re: Installation on 1 Server, Mail in other server

Post by ferrosti »

Admins should not have problems opening ports for POP3S or IMAPS, try to figure out whether this would be an option.
openSuSE on ESX
IT-Helpdesk: OTRS 3.0
Customer Service: OTRS 3.0 (upgraded from 2.3)
Customer Service (subsidiary): OTRS 3.0
+additional test and development systems
kronos
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.0.5

Post by kronos »

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, those 2 ports cannot be opened either. The network administrator won't allow us to do that. Besides, is it possible to use POP3S and IMAPS on a Windows Installation? I ask this because the perl modules, for instance, Net::SMTP:SSL are not available on Windows, and are necessary to use the secure protocols. I tried this a couple of days ago, but there were some errors, and after reading documentation i verified that the necessary modules for IMAPS and POP3S are only available for unix.
MichaelR
Znuny expert
Znuny Version: 3.0.9
Company: LRS Health

Post by MichaelR »

I am using POP3S on my Windows 7 box.... worked straight out of the box....

You need OTRS installed on the same box as PostMasterMailbox.pl

Try using a non-standard port as a 'last' resort. And I stress the word 'last'.
Hassle IT to open ports, seriously hassle, claim the whole system will fall apart, claim that fireballs will rain out of the sky....
OTRS: 3.0.9 & ITSM 3.0.4 - OS: Windows 7 - DB: MySQL - Heaps of random/useful hacks :)
[Major Code Changes]
ArticleFreeTime1-3
Ability to search ArticleFreeText