Can OTRS create a new ticket by itself?

Moderator: crythias

Amukinado
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.2.8

Can OTRS create a new ticket by itself?

Post by Amukinado »

Hi!

This is teh question. My client has programed tasks, and he wants to control the execution of this tasks(SLA's). I know that OTRS or incident management wassn't made for this, and that programmed tasks are more off change management than incident management! But SLA's are more to incidents than to changes.

This is the scenario: There are tasks that are done once a week, everyday, twice a week...well... you've got the point. I tought about doing this with the generic agent, but i can't add a mailbox adress to the generic agent, so that it would send an e-mail to the proper mail queue. This would solve the issue.

What i would like to know is how can I do this inside OTRS without going out to programing a minor app that would send the mails on the specific day, or have the text in a DB and have crontab to sendmail it...

I can be more specific if you need.

Regards
Bruno
OTRS V3.2.8 - ITSM 3.2.6 - Cent OS 5.9x64
crythias
Znuny Version: 5.0.x

Re: Can OTRS create a new ticket by itself?

Post by crythias »

Here's a thought. Tell me what you think.

two states: RepeatOn, RepeatWaiting

so a ticket is in RepeatWaiting until triggered by GenericAgent, which changes RepeatWaiting to RepeatOn, which is captured by Notification (Event) and sends the message, then generic Agent changes any RepeatOn to RepeatWaiting, once per day.

OK, so that's good enough to get the email to send.
OTRS 6.0.x (private/testing/public) on Linux with MySQL database.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
Need help? Before you ask
Amukinado
Znuny newbie

Post by Amukinado »

Hummm...ok... so i think i can add a ticket for each weekday, and one for daily usage. I can have a task on monday to change that ticket state, and multiple notifications(new ticket's beeing created) . So each day I change the corresponding ticket states and that will do the job.

I can even add a new queue like a stationary and a new mail account just to send these notifications. Generic agent will also add the SLA's to each ticket.

I think I've got the picture. Does it seems to you that I really understood your idea?

Thanks cryhias. You've been always very helpfull!

Regards
Bruno
crythias

Post by crythias »

The only thing this doesn't do is create new tickets, ALTHOUGH your repeating ticket queue may send to the OTRS ticket inbox to create tickets. NOTE: the send from queue should NOT be the email address of the otrs ticket inbox. Also, if you do this, the Postmaster Queue setup should not process tickets that go TO the new Queue's email address.

I realize that may be confusing. Short short: you want to prevent infinite loops.
Scenario
If you send from the Queue called "Ticket Generating Queue", the email address Sender of the Queue *might* get a response from OTRS "You generated a new ticket!"
If the email address Sender of the Queue is processed at Postmaster -- somehow, sending to the email address of "Ticket Generating Queue" goes to OTRS' inbox as an alias or reply to all or cc otrs inbox && [email of Ticket Generating Queue] -- you could have a loopback problem.
Just try to make sure it doesn't happen or that Postmaster ignores incoming emails sent TO Sender of "Ticket Generating Queue"
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
jojo
Znuny guru
Znuny Version: Git Master

Post by jojo »

"Production": OTRS™ 8, OTRS™ 7, STORM powered by OTRS
"Testing": ((OTRS Community Edition)) and git Master

Never change Defaults.pm! :: Blog
Professional Services:: http://www.otrs.com :: enjoy@otrs.com
crythias

Post by crythias »

jojo, thanks for that post. Somehow, I like this method better (because it stays within OTRS). What do you think?
Edit: Can't change Notification (Event) sender from Notification (Event), huh?....

It is a global (unchecked by default) entry in Core::Sendmail

SendmailNotificationEnvelopeFrom

Default value:
If set, this address is used as envelope from header in outgoing notifications. If no address is specified, the envelope from header is empty.
Amukinado
Znuny newbie

Post by Amukinado »

Hello.

I've read the blog article, but i don't understand two things.

1- Are theses existing files I have to Edit?
If so, i can't find them.

2 - Are this new files to add to the file system?
If so where do I put them?

I woud like to put this working for minor tests ASAP. Please help.

Regards
Bruno
jojo
Znuny guru

Post by jojo »

this is new code. You can put them on every system which can access the OTRS Server via HTTP/S

Amukinado
Znuny newbie

Post by Amukinado »

Well... Thank you! But where do I put it? Wich are the folders to put each file I downloaded?

The ical file, can I use an online ical like google calendar, or do I have to create the tasks and then export the ical file and upload it to the otrs server?

I really need to have this working by tomorrow at 11h Greenwich time(london/lisbon).

Thanks

Regards
Bruno
jojo
Znuny guru

Post by jojo »

the blog entry is a proof of concept. So you should be able to understand the code and standards like ical to use it.

Amukinado
Znuny newbie

Post by Amukinado »

I'm sorry for this question, but is that the best help you can give me?
I think you would lose the more or less off the same time giving me a more usefull and working answer, like the instructions I'm asking.

Regards
Bruno
Amukinado
Znuny newbie

Post by Amukinado »

I know what an ics is, and I understand what is being treated here. I'm not an experienced programmer, but i can read and understand it. What I don't know enough is about the OTRS framework in order to know where and how to put the files.

I've copied them to my server, created and imported an ics file to the server also, but I don't see where the files ical-daemon or createticket.pl have the "parameters" where you define wich is the ics file to read, and where to go read it.

Is the ics file destinated to be the calendar to associate to a queue?

Regards
Bruno
wheelshot
Znuny expert
Znuny Version: 4.0.24

Post by wheelshot »

crythias wrote:Here's a thought. Tell me what you think.

two states: RepeatOn, RepeatWaiting

so a ticket is in RepeatWaiting until triggered by GenericAgent, which changes RepeatWaiting to RepeatOn, which is captured by Notification (Event) and sends the message, then generic Agent changes any RepeatOn to RepeatWaiting, once per day.

OK, so that's good enough to get the email to send.
Im trying to implement this method and was wondering what are the states type youre using for those 2 new states? Im thinking "RepeatOn" is either Open or planned and "RepeatWaiting" is Pending reminder (sorry if not the right label cause im using french version hehe)

Thanks for your help
crythias

Post by crythias »

Doesn't matter, really, but I'd suggest the states are of type Open(because they are).