Moderator: crythias

RoyK
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 6.0.36
Company: OsloMet

DB or file storage?

Post by RoyK »

Hi all

According to the docs, db storage should be used for small setups and file storage for larger ones. With file storage, I had 13,5 million files in the articles tree. After migrating it all to db storage on mariadb, speed, measured by JMeter, is 2-3 times higher. I tried to migrate to postgres as well, since I find that better, but I got stuck with this error https://github.com/znuny/Znuny/issues/164

So - perhaps the docs shouldn't tell us to use file storage after all? On top of this, many distros uses XFS these days and XFS is very slow on metadata operations compared to ext4, so handling millions of tiny files is again very slow.
root
Administrator
Znuny Version: Znuny and Znuny LTS
Company: Znuny

Re: DB or file storage?

Post by root »

Hi,

What exactly do you measure with JMeter? Requests, the caching capabilities or the app or the database?
On large systems it is always worth to see which Storagebackend to use, but at the end the individual use case decides it.
You have to take into considerations your storage (disk vs. SSD vs. storage systems like HP XP, IBM DS, etc.) and the possible IOs, how often are attachments used in e-mails, backup and so on. Speed is not the most important part when it comes to the article. If have customers having then on a NFS mount without any problem.
And when comparing XFS vs. ext4 and the metadata operations I would never ignore the inode usage. Having enough space and running out of inodes is a common problem with ext filesystems.

- Roy
Znuny and Znuny LTS running on CentOS / RHEL / Debian / SLES / MySQL / PostgreSQL / Oracle / OpenLDAP / Active Directory / SSO

Use a test system - always.

Do you need professional services? Check out https://www.znuny.com/

Do you want to contribute or want to know where it goes ?
RoyK
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 6.0.36
Company: OsloMet

Re: DB or file storage?

Post by RoyK »

root wrote: 04 Nov 2021, 18:53 What exactly do you measure with JMeter? Requests, the caching capabilities or the app or the database?
I chose a handful of URLs and started 100 threads to poll from a client
root wrote: 04 Nov 2021, 18:53 On large systems it is always worth to see which Storagebackend to use, but at the end the individual use case decides it.
You have to take into considerations your storage (disk vs. SSD vs. storage systems like HP XP, IBM DS, etc.) and the possible IOs, how often are attachments used in e-mails, backup and so on. Speed is not the most important part when it comes to the article. If have customers having then on a NFS mount without any problem.
Storage used here was Dell Compellent with 1PB of HDDs and 40TB of SSDs (gross), meaning most of the access was to SSDs. Still shared with a large number of other VMs, mind.
root wrote: 04 Nov 2021, 18:53 And when comparing XFS vs. ext4 and the metadata operations I would never ignore the inode usage. Having enough space and running out of inodes is a common problem with ext filesystems.
I'm aware of that, so I created the fs with a large number of inodes. Still, that's not really a problem when db storage outperforms file storage.

Roy