Database Slow Queries caused by dynamic fields

Moderator: crythias

estoque
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.1.7

Database Slow Queries caused by dynamic fields

Post by estoque »

Im using OTRS 4.0.6 and I'm having problems with slow query congestion which will then need database restart. I am using around 10 dynamic field values on ticket creation.

This is the query in Kernel/System/DynamicFieldValue.pm which registers most of the slow queries.
"SELECT DISTINCT($ValueType) FROM dynamic_field_value WHERE field_id = ?"

On which specific part of OTRS is this used? and is there any way to optimize it?
jojo
Znuny guru
Znuny Version: Git Master

Re: Database Slow Queries caused by dynamic fields

Post by jojo »

you should upgrade to the latest versionto get bugfixes etc. Also it seems that your database server sizing does not match so enhance the database server with more cpu and memory
"Production": OTRS™ 8, OTRS™ 7, STORM powered by OTRS
"Testing": ((OTRS Community Edition)) and git Master

Never change Defaults.pm! :: Blog
Professional Services:: http://www.otrs.com :: enjoy@otrs.com
estoque
Znuny newbie

Post by estoque »

Thanks for the inputs. However upgrade is out of the options at the moment due to the numerous customization done. I would just like to know on which specific part of OTRS requires a query that SELECT all values on dynamic_field_value. If you can help me identify where is that module then I will either hide it or modify the query(if possible).

Im using a virtualized DB server, 32 Cores with 64GB RAM on a system with 20000 open tickets
root
Administrator
Znuny Version: Znuny and Znuny LTS
Company: Znuny

Post by root »

You should enable the slow query log of MySQL and try to create custom indexes. You DBA will be your best friend for this.
Znuny and Znuny LTS running on CentOS / RHEL / Debian / SLES / MySQL / PostgreSQL / Oracle / OpenLDAP / Active Directory / SSO

Use a test system - always.

Do you need professional services? Check out https://www.znuny.com/

Do you want to contribute or want to know where it goes ?
EXG133
Znuny expert
Znuny Version: 3.1.7 & 4.04

Post by EXG133 »

I think those are mostly used for reports. I hope you're not using the built in reporting for such a large system?
estoque
Znuny newbie

Post by estoque »

I already enabled slow query log of mysql thats why I identified the queries causing the congestion. I traced it to function HistoricalValueGet of Kernel/System/DynamicFieldValue.pm(?), and some certain scripts at kernel/System/DynamicField/Driver. My problem now is where are the users navigating on the web for OTRS to use HistoricalValueGet function.
EXG133
Znuny expert

Post by EXG133 »

That's what I said: reports.
If you create a report it's possible to filter on Dynamic Field values, even ones that are no longer active in the Dynamic Field configuration.

Dynamic Field has two values A and B. You create 10 tickets with value A and 10 with value B.
At some point your Dynamic Field is updated: you remove values A and B in the AdminDynamicField and you add values D and E.
In the frontend A and B will not be visible anymore, but when you create a statistic it will check the entire Dynamic Field table for all values every used to present it in a dropdown field -> expensive query!

I don't know of any other case where this is used, but I might be wrong.
estoque
Znuny newbie

Post by estoque »

EXG133 I already disabled the statistics module however i'm still seeing these queries. I'm still tracing where are the users navigating to execute that query.
EXG133
Znuny expert

Post by EXG133 »

Out of curiosity, what does

select count(*) from dynamic_field_value

return for you? I get 528 846 and I haven't received any complaint from the DBA's yet :lol:

It looks like it can also be triggered by CustomerSearch or AgentSearch, can you test that?
estoque
Znuny newbie

Post by estoque »

i got 4229819, for the first few months there are no problems.

As of the moment there are no dynamic fields on AgentTicketSearch and I can't think of any relationship between the attributes on search with dynamic fields.

Although don't like my temporary crude fix, I implemented it anyway. I added a condition on the SQL query, id > 4000000, this way the query will only go through 200k+ records.

I'm still working on a permanent fix.