MariaDB configuration best pratice for Znuny and others tips to improve performance

Moderator: crythias

nolobolo73
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 4.0.13

MariaDB configuration best pratice for Znuny and others tips to improve performance

Post by nolobolo73 »

Dear community,
I am testing otrs/znuny upgrade from 4.0.13 (MyISAM) to 6.5.1
I am repeting the upgrade many times in order to study the best procedure

In all the upgrade tested I ran until now, I began to notice some slowdown especially in the search engine, especially after the upgrare from 5 to 6.
This slowdown has neither improved nor worsened with the continuation of upgrades steps from version 6.0.30 to version 6.5.1
The rest of the application seems responsive to me, but the search is slowed down.

Before the upgrades I switched from MyISAM to InnoDB.
also I switched from an Oracle 7 Linux distribution to a 9.1 version (fully upgraded), with Apache/2.4.53
As for the database I switched from a mySQL mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.6.51 to maridb Ver 15.1 Distrib 10.5.16-MariaDB
All perl module are installed and upgraded.

During the upgrade I went from the RuntimeDB to the StaticDB because we have more then 60.000 article. The article is on the FS.
Duiring the upgrade I have tried many OTRS/Znuny perl command in order to clean cache, rebuild index, etc, etc.

################## Questions:

--> my questions are quite general, if there are any best practices to follow in configuring the mariadb my.cnf.d/otrs.cnf
to Znuny in general and for the 6.5.1 version to be achieved as the migration and upgrade deadline.

--> What hardware requirements do you recommend as number of cores and RAM.
At the moment in the test VM I am running 2 Cores and 8Gbyte di ram, but I have tried even with 4 Core and 16GB of RAM
The file system is XFS and the storage block is on a EMC SAN

--> I am asking also if you can suggest any other useful tips to improve the performance of Znuny

I thank you so much for the advice and support
thank you very much

nolo
wurzel
Znuny guru
Znuny Version: x.x.x

Re: MariaDB configuration best pratice for Znuny and others tips to improve performance

Post by wurzel »

Hi,

in summary you can follow these steps for getting your system fast and running.
https://doc.znuny.org/doc/manual/admin/ ... uning.html

PostgeSQL might be faster than mySQL
Oracle was always not the most performant database with OTRS/Znuny.

You need high I/O on fast hard disks and memory.

It is "normal" I would say that a new migrated system seems to be slower. OTRS/Znuny does many internal tuning with caches and
indexing tables/articles for the search engine. It just might take time :-)
It depends on your hardware.

to your questions
--> my questions are quite general, if there are any best practices to follow in configuring the mariadb my.cnf.d/otrs.cnf
to Znuny in general and for the 6.5.1 version to be achieved as the migration and upgrade deadline.
the settings from the docs should be fine
--> What hardware requirements do you recommend as number of cores and RAM.
At the moment in the test VM I am running 2 Cores and 8Gbyte di ram, but I have tried even with 4 Core and 16GB of RAM
The file system is XFS and the storage block is on a EMC SAN

8GB seems quite low (My iphone has 256GB of memory so it seems that a 128GB machine for Znuny would be nice)
You see... you need to provide some more information about your infrastructure + organisational structure.
It depends on how many tickets you get per minute or how many agents you have and how big attachements are etc.

There is no "8 GB are the best" or "your setting xyz is the best" without having more backround information

Think about the question "which car do you recommend?" This question is just too generic, but similar to your question :-)
You can not expect a correct answer on this question.

Florian
OTRS 8 SILVER (Prod)
OTRS 8 auf Debian 11 (Test)
Znuny 7.x latest version testing auf Debian 11

-- Ich beantworte keine Forums-Fragen PN - No PN please

I won't answer to unfriendly users any more. A greeting and regards are just polite.
Johannes
Znuny Version: All of them ^^
Company: Znuny|OTTERHUB

Re: MariaDB configuration best pratice for Znuny and others tips to improve performance

Post by Johannes »

Hi,

without more context, as already pointed out, it is hard to give a recommendation.
Two I can make are (from our experience):
- PostgreSQL is faster
- MySQL 8+ is faster

We see a slight but steady decline in performance on MariaDB instances. Even if Znuny or the CE stay on the same version and everything else
is the same. After a Maria Update the performance is worse.

The hardware requirements depend directly on the given workload and the tasks.
- Cluster (yes|no)
- Separate reporting DB?
- Concurrent users

and so on. Those influence the hardware and the needed configs.

Sorry to disappoint here, but there is no golden rule.
I would go for "tweak it as and if needed".
nolobolo73
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 4.0.13

Post by nolobolo73 »

Hello Florian and Johannes,
Thank you very much for your advice and helpfulness, I appreciated.
I will continue testing the upgrade procedure by integrating the information and advice you have given me.

best regards,
nolo