Time issue driving me insane

Moderator: crythias

kevinbednar
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.0.9

Time issue driving me insane

Post by kevinbednar »

Hey all, I have installed OTRS 3.0.9 and everything is working great except for ONE thing that is driving me batty! Here is some background on the problem and hopefully someone else has fallen into this dark abyss and found a way to illuminate the darkness and escape!

My otrs install is running on a Centos 5.4 OpenVZ VPS. Now this is a issue because there is no way to sync time in the container as it's synced to the host node. Well, the host node is physically in the EDT zone same as I am, but the server time is NOT set to local time, its set to GMT which is showing -5 hrs offset. However, if I set the VPS TZ to my zone, whether I enable or disable UTC, it keeps returning UTC and ignores the TZ setting. BTW, I did contact the ISP and they're response was "The host node has ntp running on it. What else do you want?". Well googling turns up that this is a common problem within OpenVZ containers and there are a bunch of hacks, and it's a crap shoot whether they will work or not, depending on how the container itself and the host node are configured. Anyway, back to the problem. By messing around with different setting for the timezone I found that setting my zone to GMT-1 it gives me the correct local time. Hooray! All should be right with the world now! WRONG!! :( I started configuring my autoresponders, and when sending an email, low and behold, the time on the autoresponder email as well as my notification email are all off by -5 hours!!! Oy. So now I have tickets happening in the past! Big problem, especially when sent to an end user. Talk about confusion! So I start poking around. I check the "tickets" table. Hmm...creation date and time ARE correct! No offset! So I configure postfix to use localtime to be safe. Watch the postfix log as I send an email....Time of email ALSO correct in the logs! No offset there either! WTF??? So I start messing in OTRS system config Time settings. No matter WHAT I change ANYTHING to, enable, disable, change offset, NOTHING affects the time of the emails! Remember, the date and times in the tickets table IS correct! I even tried adding the {TZ} setting on the Kernel->Config.pm file, still nothing!! EVERYTHING I check has the proper time (database, system, postix, etc.) so WHERE is this problem coming from?? Does anyone have ANY ideas? It's making me absolutely crazy, and I cant have emails being sent that say 5 hours earlier than they were created. :( TIA to all!

Kevin
crythias
Znuny Version: 5.0.x

Re: Time issue driving me insane

Post by crythias »

sendmail or smtp?
OTRS 6.0.x (private/testing/public) on Linux with MySQL database.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
Need help? Before you ask
kevinbednar
Znuny newbie

Post by kevinbednar »

Crythias,
I'm actually using Postfix. I copied the localtime file to the postfix /var/etc/ directory as well, no difference.

Kevin
crythias

Post by crythias »

and postfix reload?
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
kevinbednar
Znuny newbie

Post by kevinbednar »

Yes, postfix reloaded, and the server rebooted as well, all to no avail.

Kevin
crythias

Post by crythias »

did you

Code: Select all

cp /usr/share/zoneinfo/__something__ /var/spool/postfix/etc/localtime
?
kevinbednar
Znuny newbie

Post by kevinbednar »

Yep, I stated that above. I have tried everything. I have no idea what might be causing this. :(

Kevin
crythias

Post by crythias »

i don't know either. I was just curious if you had placed it in the proper place. (No doubt, just verification.)
kevinbednar
Znuny newbie

Post by kevinbednar »

Thanks anyway. Just one of those weird things that happens in life I guess. :)

Kevin
MarvinSk
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3.05

Post by MarvinSk »

Can anyone help with this issue...

OTRS: ITSM 3.05

Tickets Timestamp displays correctly

But SMTP email sent out are showing the wrong timestamps

Please advise
gecelann
Znuny expert
Znuny Version: 5.0.0
Company: rghdinc

Post by gecelann »

MarvinSk wrote:Can anyone help with this issue...

OTRS: ITSM 3.05

Tickets Timestamp displays correctly

But SMTP email sent out are showing the wrong timestamps

Please advise

Hi,

Can anyone give us advice? :D
I'm currently using OTRS 5 and the time of sending email is 1 day ahead (EmailNotification)
I'm also using SMTP. Please advice. how to fix this issue, it will be a big help to us. Thank you!
See the screenshot.
This is the email sent.
Selection_125.png
and this is the correct time.
Selection_126.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
root
Administrator
Znuny Version: Znuny and Znuny LTS
Company: Znuny

Post by root »

Please post all headers of the notification
Znuny and Znuny LTS running on CentOS / RHEL / Debian / SLES / MySQL / PostgreSQL / Oracle / OpenLDAP / Active Directory / SSO

Use a test system - always.

Do you need professional services? Check out https://www.znuny.com/

Do you want to contribute or want to know where it goes ?
gecelann
Znuny expert
Znuny Version: 5.0.0
Company: rghdinc

Post by gecelann »

root wrote:Please post all headers of the notification
Hi root,

Sorry I did not understand, what kind of header? the header of the email?
We do have like this. Please correct me, if I'm wrong. Thank you so much!
Selection_127.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
root
Administrator
Znuny Version: Znuny and Znuny LTS
Company: Znuny

Post by root »

Yes, I talk about the e-mail headers. How to get them depends on your e-mail client.
Znuny and Znuny LTS running on CentOS / RHEL / Debian / SLES / MySQL / PostgreSQL / Oracle / OpenLDAP / Active Directory / SSO

Use a test system - always.

Do you need professional services? Check out https://www.znuny.com/

Do you want to contribute or want to know where it goes ?