Editing Criticality and Impact

Moderator: crythias

Mothra
Znuny expert
Znuny Version: 3.2.11

Editing Criticality and Impact

Post by Mothra »

A bit of context: I used to use OTRS + ITSM way back in version 2.x, so my experience of 3.x so far is only with the standalone version.

Q1: Where do I edit the Criticality and Impact values, other than in the database directly?

I'd like to reduce the Criticality <-> Impact <-> Priority matrix to a simpler 3 x 3 grid and, to do so, I want to disable the "very low" and "very high" values from each (and give the impact values friendlier names, like "Blocks all users", etc)

Q2: Additionally, I'd like the customer to be able to select the Impact value when they create a ticket, so that the priority can be set according to the grid. I'm sure this used to be easy in OTRS 2.x, but I'm struggling to find a UI-based way of giving them this option in the latest OTRS.
OTRS 3.2.11 on Centos 6.4 with MySQL 5.0. Agents and internal customers authenticate via Active Directory.
Mothra
Znuny expert

Re: Editing Criticality and Impact

Post by Mothra »

Ok, I feel I've got somewhere along the way.

To activate the Impact drop-down in the Customer New Ticket screen, go to Admin->SysConfig->Ticket::Frontend::CustomerTicketMessage###DynamicField

and create a new entry with Key: TicketFreeText14 and Value: 1 (and make sure the box is ticket to the left also.

However, this gives you an empty Impact drop-down list in the Customer Ticket Screen.

Now go into Admin->Dynamic Fields and edit TicketFreeText14. Here you need to supply labels for the Impact levels.

I set them up as follows:

Key / Value
1 / 1 very low
2 / 2 low
3 / 3 normal
4 / 4 high
5 / 5 very high

Now, when I raise a new Customer Ticket, I can set the Impact from the drop-down list; however, the resulting ticket has garbage values for Criticality and Impact:

Criticality: -
Impact: ","18

Can someone provide a clue as to what went wrong?
OTRS 3.2.11 on Centos 6.4 with MySQL 5.0. Agents and internal customers authenticate via Active Directory.
Mothra
Znuny expert

Post by Mothra »

-- bump --

Still facing this issue - anyone have a solution? If I go into these tickets and open the Priority edit screen, then save, sensible values are then stored in the ticket.

The issue seems to be due to the way the Customer New Ticket screen is inserting the values in the first place. This screen displays the impact fields in a drop-down with their 'friendly' names, as defined in Admin>Dynamic Fields.

When I first create a new ticket, setting both the service and impact, I get the following:

mysql> select * from dynamic_field_value where object_id=317;
+-----+----------+-----------+------------+------------+-----------+
| id | field_id | object_id | value_text | value_date | value_int |
| 429 | 4 | 317 | 2 | NULL | NULL |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Field ID 4 is impact, 3 is criticality, but as you can see, it's missing.

When I edit the ticket priority, I find that the 'friendly' values shown in the impact drop down are not the same as those displayed in the Customer New Ticket Window. Instead, I just get the basic Impact names. Setting Impact to 2, gives the following:

mysql> select * from dynamic_field_value where object_id=317;
| id | field_id | object_id | value_text | value_date | value_int |
| 430 | 4 | 317 | 7 | NULL | NULL |
| 431 | 3 | 317 | 3 | NULL | NULL |
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

The Impact is now set to an ID of 7(!), and the criticality is not set at the correct value of '3'.

I fear something has gone wrong in my setup, and that the Customer Ticket creation is at fault.
Mothra
Znuny expert

Post by Mothra »

So.. I figured out that the Dynamic Field entries need to supply the key that maps to the id value in the General Catalog table.

In my installation, ITSM::Core::Impact values are 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 for 1 -5 repsectively.

This means that in Dynamic Fields, I need the following mappings for the Impact field.

Key - Value
6 - 1 very low
7 - 2 low
8 - 3 normal
9 - 4 high
10 - 5 very high

Still left to work out is why the criticality is not being saved against the ticket when a customer creates a new ticket with the service defined.
cmadoery
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 5.0.x
Company: AnyWeb AG

Post by cmadoery »

Hi Mothra
have exactly the same needs. want to have a 3 x 3 matrix but was not maniplation the dynamic fields yet.
Priority is easy. But what abaout the rest. Is it working with yout setup?
OTRS 5.0.x, CentOS 6.6, MariaDB 10.1.20