How To upload and share files with customers

English! place to talk about development, programming and coding
masoodfarooq91
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: version3.3
Company: expertflow

How To upload and share files with customers

Post by masoodfarooq91 »

Hello Respected OTRS gurus and developers!
I want to share files with customers on OTRS. When a customer logins , i want a tab t his interface named docs, and when he clicks that tab, he should see his relevent docs only....,
While on the admin side, i should be seeing all files in a new tab, may be in the old tab, anywhere suitable.
Sorry my question is very raw, but thats all i have. Please Give me ideas and help to reshape and achieve this. May be sync or relate Google drive with OTRS somehow,, any other solution,,, anything?????????????????????????????
crythias
Znuny Version: 5.0.x

Re: How To upload and share files with customers

Post by crythias »

Dropbox, hosted sharepoint, hosted document manager...
OTRS 6.0.x (private/testing/public) on Linux with MySQL database.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
Need help? Before you ask
masoodfarooq91
Znuny newbie

Post by masoodfarooq91 »

ya we are using google drive already, but i dont want to use a separate software,
or if it is necessary to use any other software, i want it to link it to OTRS, so that customers use only one interface, just the OTRS customer interface.
BIG_jan
Znuny advanced
Znuny Version: 3.3.8
Company: Netzlink Informationstechnik GmbH

Post by BIG_jan »

depending on how big the files are:

create a ticket for the customer, where u upload the files into :)
Live: OTRS 3.3.8, ITSM 3.3.8, in vm
Test: otrs 3.3.8, ITSM

OS: RedHat 6.5 64Bit, Apache: 2.2.15, MySQL 5.5.38, Perl: 5.10.1, mod_Perl 2.0.4
masoodfarooq91
Znuny newbie

Post by masoodfarooq91 »

no not that, i want an organize storage type of thing, where every user can see its relevent files only. It will be perfect if it will be like that:- customer interface having a new tab named 'DOCS' ,, when he clicks on the tab, there is a list of all of his relevent docs. he clicks on the doc, and it is downloaded....>> that sort of thing. on the backend, files can be anywhere, g drive, dropbox, anything i dont care as long as it works......> google drive will be best if it is possible to link google drive with customer's interface
reneeb
Znuny guru
Znuny Version: 6.0.x
Company: Perl-Services.de

Post by reneeb »

This would need development.

There is a module https://metacpan.org/pod/Net::Google::Drive::Simple you could use... Your Google drive could be organised by using customer_id as a folder name. In the customer frontend you could display the files of the folder.
Perl / Znuny development: http://perl-services.de
Free Znuny add ons from the community: http://opar.perl-services.de
Commercial add ons: http://feature-addons.de
jojo
Znuny guru
Znuny Version: Git Master

Post by jojo »

But this would be development
"Production": OTRS™ 8, OTRS™ 7, STORM powered by OTRS
"Testing": ((OTRS Community Edition)) and git Master

Never change Defaults.pm! :: Blog
Professional Services:: http://www.otrs.com :: enjoy@otrs.com
masoodfarooq91
Znuny newbie

Post by masoodfarooq91 »

I dont want to use a module as it sems difficult to undertand. Forget google for the timebeing, I just want it like that:
1. I want a new interface tab added to customer portal.
2. When user clicks on this tab, there are different buttons like upload file, view/download files, delete file.
3. When a user clicks on lets say upload file, a form should be opened with information to put in and a new file selection windows should be opened, and selected file must be uploaded to the specified path on server.
4. Also a record should be entered in a newly created table in OTRS database. And it should be viewed when user views all his files.

Now please first tell me how to create a new tab in customer logged interface?
jojo
Znuny guru

Post by jojo »

hire an experienced OTRS developer

masoodfarooq91
Znuny newbie

Post by masoodfarooq91 »

@jojo: then what will i learn ? i want to learn.....! I believe if i can develop java and php apps , i can learn OTRS as well with some help. Unfortunately and fortunately, this is the only forum where i can get help.......>>
jojo
Znuny guru

Post by jojo »

read the devel docs. Start with a simple module

masoodfarooq91
Znuny newbie

Post by masoodfarooq91 »

ya i am doing that along side, but i have to complete these tasks as well because i am just a junior developer in the company, i have to do these tasks. Can you please identify me the files where i can edit customer user interface, I want to add the new tab 'docs' alng side the exisintg tabs like new ticket, my tickets, company tickets, FAQs etc
jojo
Znuny guru

Post by jojo »

these are registered module and menu items. It is not about changing a template only. please work on the basics first

Moved to Developer Forum

hmmmm3
Znuny newbie
Znuny Version: 3

Post by hmmmm3 »

Another option is to use the FAQ module. Because OTRS doesnt have a "docs" tab, I use the FAQ module to store documents that my customers can access.

You can create categories as well as restrict access to the articles.

Its not a bad work around until there is a better solution.

But I agree, its better to have everything in one environment.
masoodfarooq91
Znuny newbie

Post by masoodfarooq91 »

hmmmm3 wrote:Another option is to use the FAQ module. Because OTRS doesnt have a "docs" tab, I use the FAQ module to store documents that my customers can access.

You can create categories as well as restrict access to the articles.

Its not a bad work around until there is a better solution.

But I agree, its better to have everything in one environment.
Can i allow one customer to see a specific article and restrict all other customers?
hmmmm3
Znuny newbie

Post by hmmmm3 »

Agents can be restricted to groups to restrict visibility ... but customers.... You may have to use customer groups for that. I have not tested it that way. However, I do use customer groups. But in theory...it should work. Let me know.
crythias
Znuny Version: 5.0.x

Post by crythias »

On another note, a ticket dedicated for this purpose is specific to the customer. Files can be added as additional articles/external notes, and the customer will have historical and dedicated access to it.

When necessary, an agent can link to that ticket.

My specific problem with the FAQ is that, to me, it generally breaks the flow of how I provide service. If it's probably truly an FAQ, I might consider making that an additional Template/Reply rather than trying to manage that information in some other environment. Oh, yes, documentation. But I use OneNote for that.

In my opinion, once I've shared a file or information in a ticket, I shouldn't need to provide it elsewhere. I should link to the information I've already provided to the customer. I have probably to look it up anyway.
OTRS 6.0.x (private/testing/public) on Linux with MySQL database.
Please edit your signature to include your OTRS version, Operating System, and database type.
Click Subscribe Topic below to get notifications. Consider amending your topic title to include [SOLVED] if it is so.
Need help? Before you ask
hmmmm3
Znuny newbie

Post by hmmmm3 »

Is there a way to link OneNote to an agent's or customer account? Or something simular? I hooked up google calendar to OTRS, maybe the google drive is an option. Ill have to explore it.

I think the overall issue is how to efficiently link documentation, unrelated to a ticket, to an agent's or customer'saccount.

My solutions thus far have been:
1.) CMDB - I use this to store specific information about inventory (warranty documents, etc...). Pros: Very powerful Cons: I have never tried using it just for document storage. I imagine setting visibility restrictions would be nightmarish!

2.) FAQ - I use it to store Information about a agent...documents...etc... Pros: A lot easier to restrict with Categories and groups. .Cons: For document storage, not intuitive for a customer or agent. (because this is not how it was designed to be used). Its difficult explaining to them they need to create a FAQ to upload a document.

3.) My Imagination. I can click a tab in the menu thst allows me to upload documents for agents or customers. These documents are unrelated to tickes, but supporting informatiin ( insurnace doc, licensing info, sla agreements, etc. ?.) Pros: Its great! Works every time. Cons: My imagination exist, but the tab does not. :(

Please forgive my punctuation and spelling errors, today is a USA holiday...and my brain keeps telling me vacation....
masoodfarooq91
Znuny newbie

Post by masoodfarooq91 »

hmmmm3 wrote:Is there a way to link OneNote to an agent's or customer account? Or something simular? I hooked up google calendar to OTRS, maybe the google drive is an option. Ill have to explore it.

I think the overall issue is how to efficiently link documentation, unrelated to a ticket, to an agent's or customer'saccount.

My solutions thus far have been:
1.) CMDB - I use this to store specific information about inventory (warranty documents, etc...). Pros: Very powerful Cons: I have never tried using it just for document storage. I imagine setting visibility restrictions would be nightmarish!

2.) FAQ - I use it to store Information about a agent...documents...etc... Pros: A lot easier to restrict with Categories and groups. .Cons: For document storage, not intuitive for a customer or agent. (because this is not how it was designed to be used). Its difficult explaining to them they need to create a FAQ to upload a document.

3.) My Imagination. I can click a tab in the menu thst allows me to upload documents for agents or customers. These documents are unrelated to tickes, but supporting informatiin ( insurnace doc, licensing info, sla agreements, etc. ?.) Pros: Its great! Works every time. Cons: My imagination exist, but the tab does not. :(

Please forgive my punctuation and spelling errors, today is a USA holiday...and my brain keeps telling me vacation....
Lolzz. Third option is a very good one if it comes to reality from imagination............
Actually the problem is to force customers to use any free repository tools. Drop box,Google drive etc etc are very good ones. But if a customer says I am not comfortable with these (with no apparent reason), it is very difficult to pursue them..........
So there should be , rather must be a document repository option with properly applied restrictions so that customers can see and download their relevant Docs whenever they want.
jojo
Znuny guru

Post by jojo »

use a OwnCloud Setup for this...